Saturday, July 3, 2010

Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary

WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW. The fourth book in the Fablehaven seriesSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary, by Brandon Mull is WOW! I'd almost leave it at just that and be done with it. But I'm sure you would want to know why I enjoyed it so much.

First of all, there are five magical artifacts, that work as keys, that will open Zzyzx. It would be so easy to make each book about obtaining one of those keys and nothing else. And it is true that the team goes after another magical artifact in this book. But I like this book so much because that is just a small portion of this book.

Some books present a mystery and you have to wait until the very end to discover the answer. Those books give you little hints, but nothing to help you discover the answer. Maybe after you've read everything, you can look back and see that there was a trail left for you, but it was so obscure that it takes three readings to really see it. Or it had to be explained to you. I like Fablehaven because it doesn't torture you this way. Mysteries unfold along the way and new ones open up.

In some books, most characters remain static and only the hero or heroine develops. I am appreciating the fact that not only Seth and Kendra grow, but also Grandpa and Vanessa and some of the other characters like Hugo to a lesser extent. Seth is a gambler. He takes risks, but he is beginning to weigh the consequences of these risks and is realizing that there are some he should take and others that he shouldn't. His character trait doesn't change, but he uses it wisely rather than recklessly. And Grandpa recognizes this change and begins to think and act accordingly.

There is the old Star Trek joke that the new guy that beams down with Captain Kirk is the goner. That joke doesn't work where Mull is concerned. Any character is expendable and so you never know who might be next. I love that suspense.

If you have been reading the series along with me, you know that Kendra acquired a special attribute. This attribute came with many special skills and talents that are very useful to the Knights of the Dawn as well as the Society of the Evening Star. I am pleased to say that now Seth has acquired an extraordinary attribute as well. And it is one that will come in hand multiple times over. It's both surprising and concerning, but also intriguing.

You will also know that everyone is a potential traitor outside of the Sorenson household. It doesn't matter how important you think a character is. Or how cool or great a character is. They may not be what they seem to be. Some can be redeemed ... possibly Vanessa, but some must be killed.

As I think it through, I remember that once I recommended a children's book to my mother. She agreed that it was a good book, but said it was obviously only children's literature because she knew what the ending would be. I tried to convince her that it wasn't always so, but her taste in books is very limited. I certainly could not recommend my all time favorites. We're not certain I'm genetically related.

This series is brilliant to me because in all the books I have read, I haven't found anything quite like it. I can make guesses and sometimes I am right, but more often than not, I am surprised by the outcomes. There is nothing more disappointing to me than recognizing similarities. Best example is Eragon where I can hear the John Williams' music playing in the background while looking from the burm into the double sunset. It is much better to be told after the fact that the author based their novel on say Pride and Prejudice and I can say, "then that is why I loved it so much," even though I didn't recognize the scenario as I read it. I don't mind being "played" as long as I'm not aware of it. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment