Thursday, August 12, 2010

Keys to the Demon Prison

Keys to the Demon Prison by Brandon Mull

I apologize for my absence. My girls and I were on vacation last week. And even though I took vacation time, I'm actually working an awful lot this week. And I'm exhausted. Can barely keep up with laundry and sleep, let alone a blog. And of course, I finished two or three books while on vacation, so I'm almost five books behind in reviews. A daunting task that I haven't been able to face. So instead, I've read more and obsessively.


The other problem is that I have gushed so much about Fablehaven I may be all gushed out. Or perhaps complete mush. I like the series so much that I've become possessive of my opinion. I hate conflict. Anyway …

The Fablehaven series is finally complete with book 5 and "Well Done!!" to the author. Even better, there is an author's note at the end that confirms he does not intend to write a book 6. Fablehaven is done. Not that he might not choose to write another series with some of the characters from Fablehaven. Apparently that thought has run through his head.

I'm about to offend. This series is better than Harry Potter. This series is better than The Lightning Thief. I am hoping it does not get purchased for the big screen. I WILL NOT watch it. I am learning to be bored with movies. Case in point: I fell asleep thrice during The City of Ember one of my favorite books. The industry ruined it for me. I returned it unfinished. I fell asleep during Where the Wild Things Are which started out much better than anticipated, but fell into the category of "how did a picture book become this?" I returned it unfinished.

When I read a book, I easily become one with the main character regardless of gender, age or ethnicity. I judge a book often by how seamlessly I become the protagonist. I've been Kendra through five books. It's even been hard to see the rare illustration of her because she doesn't have my long hair (from when I was her age.) I don't recognize my face in the illustrator's rendition of her. But in my mind, we blend together and I stutter.

The wonderful thing about Fablehaven is that I was able to identify with Seth as well. Mull writes both characters equally well. I felt defeated when Seth is tricked and all seems lost. Loving encouragement provided as needed when needed, lifted me back onto my feet and gave me the courage and energy and motivation to attempt the impossible. I mean Seth … Switching from one character in a chapter to the other in the next chapter was neither jarring nor jumpy. I was always excited to see the next move made by the next character.

Yes, I am Kendra. But that is because, between the two, I'm a female. I'm an older sister. I feel timid. I choose the safe path. I worry when others follow what I feel to be the wrong path. And I wish that I could do something important and heroic instead of stand on the sidelines.

This is a series I might just have to purchase. GASP!

No comments:

Post a Comment