Thursday, December 9, 2010

My Side of the Mountain

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

Here is a book that I should have read a long time ago. I knew this too. I am not saying this after the fact. It has been on my list forever. I just kept pushing it further and further down. Why is that?

The subject matter does not attract me. I am not the kind of girl who likes to camp out. I don't think of that as any kind of vacation. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it once I was out there roughing it, because I have. It's just not something I think about doing.

I checked out the trilogy copy as opposed to the individual titles. 600 pages of book is more daunting than three 200 page books. I even had to convince myself that I didn't have to read it straight through. I am a nut!

The cover is not all that exciting. It is the truth. It is just not colorful enough for me.
It received a Newbery Honor in 1960. I will leave it at that. I am not going to call it old.

I just wasn't chomping at the bit to read it. Everything else on my shelf looked more exciting. And I have not been reading as voraciously as I am accustomed to. I think I am getting tired.

Ms. George has refreshed me. Her book pleased me. The book soothed me. It sang a little song to my soul. And it gave me hope. I don't know if I can explain it.

Every child wants to run away. Some get as far as the street corner. Some can stay away as long as a day. The majority only imagine attempts.

Sam is different. He means what he says and he says what he means. He is prepared for the task. He has been educated for accomplishment. None of the adults believe him nor do they believe in him. Well, except for the librarian. I think some of us librarians must be children who never grew up. We don't want to. And we live vicariously through our books and the children who read and enjoy them.

Sam pays attention to details. He learns to distinguish between the different birds and animals. He recognizes the different poses of his falcon so he is alerted to danger and the different types of danger that await him. He remembers what he has seen, read, heard. He knows what plants he can eat and which parts to avoid.

Sam is an artist extraordinaire. He hunts, designing his own traps and baits. He fishes, developing the best ways and times and tools. He cooks, experimenting with the fruit of the land. He makes his own clothes, designing for comfort, functionality and warmth. He makes up songs. He keeps a journal. He is multitalented. He recognizes what needs to be done and then does it. Sam is a Liberal Arts Major!

My favorite part is that he is a good host. He welcomes others to his home. He provides for them. He serves them. He treats them like royalty, giving them the best he has. He gives up his own bed and tree to make room for them. He relishes the opportunity to give them his finest.

And the best part. He recognizes that he is lonely. He recognizes that he misses people. And he is willing to quit. I could learn from him. I never know when to quit. As if I must always prove myself even when I already have.

I think Sam was meant to teach me something. I'm missing out on life and beauty. I'm too wired. Too connected without be connected at all. It's time for a change. Don't think I can disappear for a year …

No comments:

Post a Comment