Thursday, January 6, 2011

On the Far Side of the Mountain

On the Far Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

A quiet book, although not as quiet as its predecessor. That is what my boss calls books like these. Quiet books. I like that. I just finished another quiet book last night.


We don't get a lot of quiet books anymore. Kids expect action and drama and cliff hangers. So how do you introduce a quiet book to a modern child?

If your child likes to cook and experiment in the kitchen and watches the Food Network, (s)he might enjoy this book. If you have a garden and/or a compost heap, or your child has told you that you need one, (s)he might appreciate this book. If your child has taken an interest in the organic produce at your supermarket, this book might attract his or her attention. If your child has a desire to hunt or doesn't flinch at the suggestion of rabbit or squirrel for dinner, this book might open up new possibilities.

Some children are natural engineers and inventors and Sam Gribley could be their new best friend. There are children who must take things apart to see how they work and then try to reproduce the machine. Sam might be their new hero. And don't forget the kids who like to make things from scratch like compasses and sundials. Sam introduces a few different designs including some blueprints for much larger machines.

My children LOVE animals whether they are wild, domestic or livestock. They enjoy bird watching whether predator, prey or poultry. There is nothing we enjoy more than a surprise visit from a neighbor's dog, a trip to the zoo, or a library animal program. When my oldest saw that I was reading this series, she was quick to share which parts I would love and which parts would surprise me. She was reading a portion in class!

In this particular book, we have a new heroine to add to the mix – Sam's sister Alice! She doesn't play a large role (although without her there would be no book) but I appreciate her style. When she gets something into her head, she doesn't let it go until she follows the idea through to its fruition. And she doesn't rely on her brother. She is not a guest. She has her own home built to her specifications. Alice is every bit the adventurer that Sam is. If anything, she is more adventurous. She is not quiet or peaceful.

There is one other element of this book that I think the kids might enjoy. Sam and Alice have made up a game to play and part of this book revolves around that game even though Sam doesn't realize it at first. When I was little, I spent a portion of my summers on the family farms and I had my own little kingdoms. Of course, I was always alone, but if I would have had someone to play with … I would definitely have wanted a game like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment