Friday, July 29, 2011

Plain Kate

Plain Kate by Erin Bow

I hate to give a bad review to a book. And it’s not even a bad book. It’s well written and unique. It pulled me right in. It was a book that I chose to read based upon the jacket summary. I can understand why it intrigued me. But it is one of the few books that I felt uncomfortable reading.

On occasion, I have watched horror films. I don’t know why I subjected myself to them. Perhaps I just liked to be “safely” scared. I’ve stopped. One of the last ones I watched was The Grudge. There was this sound that was played whenever something bad was about to happen. Kind of like the Jaws theme. We have radiators in our house and whenever an air bubble is released from the water and it hits the metal, it makes the same sound. Not a cool thing. The movie primed me with a Pavlov’s dog type of response and then my house has carried it on.

Sometimes a book reads in such a way that you can see the movie play in your mind. It’s like the author wrote the movie or intended it to be made into one. There were times when descriptions in this book very vividly recalled to mind the ghosts or monsters from The Grudge or The Ring. That awful image of a girl crawling shakily out of a well and walking towards you all damp and cold and colorless. And evil.

This book spooked me. In some cases, you might argue that the book was too good. I might argue that it belongs more to Young Adult. However, there are some kids that come looking for a scary book and I think I’ve found one. Perhaps I should put a ghost sticker on the spine. And then again, I don’t think I’m going to recommend it at all.

Plain Kate is set in a time when witches are drowned or burned at the stake. Plain Kate is set in a place where witches are real. Women can heal with some herbs and a song. Men can call up the weather. Your shadow can be removed with a braid of your hair, a bit of your blood, and some fire. And magic can only be performed when gifts are exchanged or sacrifices are made.

Plain Kate was born a natural carver to a village carver. She was given a knife to carve before she was given a spoon to eat. Due to her supernatural carving abilities and her unusual eyes, two different colors, she was always set a bit apart from the rest of the village. Her mother died when she was young and her father died when she was not much older. Plain Kate was made an orphan in a place that did not want her.

About the time Plain Kate is forced to leave her village, a strange albino man arrives – a real witch named Linay. He offers to exchange the wish of Plain Kate’s heart for her shadow. Only when the village becomes violent against her does Plain Kate begin to consider his offer. She finally agrees in exchange for the supplies necessary to travel away from her past. The wish of her heart? Her cat begins to talk which doesn’t help her case when she is accused of witchcraft.

I wish I could say that Linay is satisfied with just her shadow, but he needs more and now the two are connected. Linay’s goal is to raise his sister from the dead and take revenge on the city that burned her at the stake for trying to heal people during a fever of epidemic proportions.

If you don’t want your children performing the “Light as a Feather” trick/spell, then you don’t want your children reading this. That’s the kind of uncomfortable I was. And this is why I read books. I didn’t see this one coming, and I’m not sure anyone else would without a careful background check. 

No comments:

Post a Comment