Thursday, March 22, 2012

Smile

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

I have no affection for graphic novels. I know this might seem strange since I am an artist myself and thoroughly enjoy picture books, but I think I fancy words more. A part of me is simply disoriented by all of the distractions on the page. Left to right and back again no longer exists. The page is jumpy and disorganized in my mind. And black and white sketches… ugh… I am the Crayola Color girl after all.

I have read a few graphic novels. I never choose them. They appear on a list and I force myself to read them. See? I’m not horrible. You all know that I entirely ignore the poor non-fiction nominees and award winners. I read Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty by G. Neri. Hmmmm, okay, perhaps I have read one – one graphic novel. That happened to be a true story, just like this one!

Smile. A graphic novel written and illustrated by the same woman who has brought back The Babysitter’s Club in graphic novel form – Raina Telgemeier. This is her true life story from the day in sixth grade that she tripped, fell and lost two of her permanent teeth to the pavement to the day her smile was finally made whole again in high school. And yes, you will think it is a bad scenario, but wait, it gets worse!

Smile is brilliant. Telgemeier not only shares her most humiliating moments, but captures the uncertainty and embarrassment experienced by (what I imagine is) every tween/teenage girl. She at least hit the nail on the head as far as my tween/teenage life went. Friends who are not really friends. Embarrassment over certain body parts. Crushes on boys. Being different from the mainstream. Subtle bullying. Yep, yep, yep, yep and yep. Painful.

The only thing more painful than Raina’s middle school life is Raina’s dental woes. It turns out that only one of her front teeth was knocked out and luckily they were able to find it. But the other one was shoved up into her gums – OUCH. And must be pulled back down – double OUCH! Did you know there was such a thing as a dental cast? I didn’t. Raina would be more than happy just to go back to needing to have regular old braces. And she is not out of sixth grade yet! Remember… her smile isn’t restored until high school!

When I first learned what this novel was about, I thought this would be an excellent book for my almost twelve-year-old. She has heard for most of her life that she would need braces. There was one exception - aberration. One check-up where her dentist said that it would only be a cosmetic difference and boy did my girl pick up on that. She does not want braces. No way. No how. I thought perhaps that this book might encourage her that it wasn’t such a big deal. I am no longer of that opinion.

Granted, the book covers a period of time twenty years ago. Orthodontics has probably experienced many positive changes and advancements. Still, the multiple procedures that Raina undergoes are definitely cringe-worthy. I believe if my daughter were to read the book she would certainly be of the opinion that she absolutely, positively does not need braces.

My own daughter aside, I really, really enjoyed this graphic novel. I think the kids will naturally gravitate to it without any of my assistance. The majority of readers will be girls, but a bet a few boys will read it when no one is looking. It might be particularly useful for kids going through their own dental trauma. I know I’ve added, “please, do not let my children knock their teeth out,” to my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment