Thursday, May 24, 2012

Old Yeller

Old Yeller by Fred Gipson

Rudy, Stormy, Poco, Dylan, Tucker, Skipper, Zephyr, Katie, Bob, Wednesday, Daisy, Casey, Ranger, Ajax, Whiskey. My life has been full of dogs. Of those no longer living, all but three of them died, comfortably, of old age. Well, I don’t know for sure about Skipper. He was stolen out of my grandmother’s backyard one Christmas not long after we got him.
So if that doesn’t tell you why I had never read Old Yeller before, you must be a cat person. You’re certainly not a dog person.
I have also never read Where the Red Fern Grows. I didn’t even know what the title was referring to until yesterday when I read a synopsis of the book. These are books that I knew I didn’t want to read. It is common knowledge that the dogs die. I had no intention whatsoever of reading them and certainly wouldn’t recommend them. Until it came to my attention that Old Yeller was a 1956 Newbery Honor book. And still, I put off the dirty deed for months.
But now I have read it and now I get it. It is a classic. It’s not that dogs are not heroes these days. Dogs continue to save the lives of people on a daily basis – both working dogs and family pets. However, it would be uncommon for a family pet to save the life of its master several times from wild animals within the modern-day contiguous states.
In Old Yeller, Old Yeller’s job is to work alongside his master, Travis. He helps to corral the hogs. He helps to protect the corn from varmints. In case of trouble, Old Yeller is to divert danger away from his master and family. In many cases, Old Yeller is the only protection available. Old Yeller is the front line between life and death. This book shows how willing the dog is to give his life to save master.
Not one of “my” dogs “worked” a day in his life. Even Stormy, the farm collie, lacked animals to herd. They were and are all companion animals… oversized lap dogs. I love them and want them. I do not depend upon them or need them. They are great for barking at every personage that graces my porch – friend or foe, but they do not get much opportunity to prove their worth against an intruder. These days, we are well-protected.
There is another point made by this book to the modern child. Not only do the majority of our companion animals not work, but most 14-year-old boys don’t work much either. We live a life of leisure. Television, music, video games, and who knows what else. A few of the boys I know hunt and fewer know how to farm… I’m sure they’re out there, but I’m pretty certain such American boys are in the minority these days.
I cannot begin to fathom the amount of manly responsibility that the boy, Travis, takes upon himself while his father is away. I cannot imagine many boys of this era being able to do the same – willingly as well as able. It is no wonder we are so easily bored. We are not tired.
I’m guessing I’m the last hold out for Old Yeller. Even my oldest has already read it and seen the movie at school. She said it was against her will. It wasn’t as bad as I expected. The “putting down” of the dog wasn’t sensationalized. It had to be done, (agreed,) and Travis behaved like an adult in charge and took care of it - quickly. Why, the whole book was rather matter-of-fact. And I appreciated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment