Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Basilisk's Lair

The Basilisk's Lair by R.L. LaFevers

I said we jumped right in to book two, but didn’t think it was going to take this long to finish it. At fewer than 150 pages, it was our own fault that it took us as long as it did. It is that time of the year when we are busy with holidays, parties and the end of quarter homework. We just haven’t had the time for a chapter a night. And the book suffered because of it.

I believe that this book would be best read in one sitting. As an adult, I could probably read it in under an hour easily. The chapters are relatively short and very little happens in each one individually. It really required constant attention. Skipping two days in between a reading caused our memories of plot to suffer.

Certain circumstances in the sequel required better memory of the original novel, The Flight of the Phoenix, and there was inferior summary to aid us. I found myself looking back in the novel and even wishing I had the first book to guarantee that I was remembering correctly. The girls benefited from my recap of the former chapter as much as I did.

Because the first book in the series was a Bluestem Nominee, I was lead to believe that the series was geared toward 3rd through 5th graders, but now I am of the opinion that series works better for a younger audience. I would recommend this book to a 3rd grade reluctant reader, but probably not older unless the student was really struggling.

Truthfully, I’m bored with the series already, but the girls – both the second grader and the seventh grader – are enjoying the book regardless of my opinions. And yes, we have started book three. The majority of the chapters end in serious cliffhangers and the younger daughter will sit atop me and demand a second chapter. No honey, not at 9 o’clock at night. Promising. My theory for the older daughter’s enjoyment? It is like reading Harry Potter but not as intense. She gets the magical creatures that she loves without threat of danger hovering at every turn. And she can still sleep at night.

For this book to work for older children as more than a read-aloud at night, it simply needs more. I would almost suggest combining the first one to three books into a single volume. Less, but longer chapters. I almost think it would make a lovely little picture book. Let illustrations provide the descriptions and minimize the words.

I’m not invested enough in the two main characters. Nathaniel and his Aunt Phil. By far, I enjoy Greasle the Gremlin the most. She gets the most reaction… eating mosquitos with relish. EWWW! Aunt Phil is old and unexciting despite her profession. She needs to wear Indiana Jones’ hat and act the part. And Nate needs to get some backbone. Adventure is meant to be invigorating. Nate reminds me of Harry Potter IF Harry had decided to remain in his room under the stairs…

No comments:

Post a Comment