Friday, April 23, 2010

Diamond Willow

It seems to me that there is a plethora of children's literature set in Alaska with lots of sled dogs and children who wish to handle that special team. Don't forget the adults who don't think it's a good idea. It's practically its own genre.

When I get a book that is written in poetry, but doesn't have a J811 on the spine, I cringe. The only redeeming quality in my opinion is its brevity. What I do appreciate: poetry that is confined to rules. Makes it a bit harder. More like a puzzle. Haiku ... sonnet ... shapes ... villanelle. I have a weakness for Dylan Thomas. I like cadence, rhythm, accents. I DO NOT care for iambic pentameter. hahaha. Here is something new to me ... diamond poetry?

Notice the bold words in the middle that speak to the reader as well. This is Diamond Willow by Helen Frost

Almost every page of this book is a diamond poem with an extra, bold message within. It reads like a narrative. Almost as if someone is speaking and the bold words are what that person is thinking. Almost, but not quite. That is over-simplification. I like it. I'll have to try it ... it presents a challenge.

Now, interspersed between the poems, there are narratives. Short, single-page thoughts from different ancestors in the form of animals. For instance, One of Diamond Willow's great grandparents is present in the form of a bird. The bird watches Diamond Willow and comments on what she sees and maybe tries to provide guidance. There is also a fox, a mouse, a cougar. They are all identified as someone who has passed from this life, but is related to the people involved in some way.

Which is where I will point out ... It is a great way to illustrate the beliefs of another culture. The Native people "worship", honor, pay homage to their ancestors. And their ancestors assist them in times of trouble and are present in the form of the animal life surrounding them. But it can also open up a wide variety of curiousity in other beliefs. The book presents the story as if it were so. The book is not meant to be fantasy. It is meant to be contemporary realistic fiction. I admit, it makes me a little uncomfortable. I would want to address it to my young reader. I understand fully how curiosity can lead to a certain acceptance. You read a horoscope "for fun" but marvel in how "accurate" it is. You start to personify your pets. Maybe my dog is really the spirit of my grandfather ... I don't wish for my mind or my child's to be ignorantly lead astray out of curiousity.

My favorite part of the book was the "aha" moment. The part where I gasped and raised my hand to my mouth in surprise. I won't spoil it for you. I enjoyed it immensely. But I had to remind myself that as sweet as the story is, it is not my belief system. I also read it in one day which is always a perk!

What's the story about? A young girl who wants to be allowed to take her favorite dog and team of sled dogs out on her own. Is she given permission? Yes, eventually. Does she get a bit carried away? Yes, she's reckless. Does someone get hurt? Yes, her favorite dog. Now she must find a way to lessen her guilt and make amends.

No comments:

Post a Comment