Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I Read Too Much so you don't have to

I read an obscene amount of books. Children's books. My excuse, and it's a good one, is because it is my job. Yes, I'm a Childrens' Librarian at Decatur Public Library.

I've read every Caldecott and Newbery Winner. I've read every Rebecca Caudill Winner. I've read every Caldecott Honor book. I'm currently working on reading every Newbery Honor book. I've reached the 1960's and I have to go back to 1923. I'm also working on every Caudill Nominee and there are over 200! I think I'm back to 1997 and they go back to 1988. I've also recently started working on the Coretta Scott King Award winners. I'm flustered 'cause I'm way behind! (In the future, I'll explain each award.)

Those are the books I make myself read ... a to do list if you will. Then there is the list of books that I would choose to read regardless. I'm a Sci-Fi/Fantasy geek. That's where I naturally gravitate. But I prefer to be well-rounded. If a 5th grade boy needs suggestions and he's already read Lightning Thief I need to be ready.

I've started this blog in an effort to justify all of the reading. The chance to share my knowledge with more people. I work part-time, so I'm only available 20 hours a week when you can pick my brain. And I have a good place to start. The Newbery, Caldecott, King awards have been announced recently. The 2011 Caudill Nominees have been announced as well. And I'm reading at a frantic pace. In the days ahead, I intend to present each of these as I have read them.

I better add a disclaimer. Because I read so much, and because I don't particularly care for it, I don't read juvenile non-fiction, even if it's an award winner. I just can't get excited about it. And I have never cared much for poetry. Something has to scream READ ME for me to change my mind.

However, I DO read adult non-fiction. About a chapter a day. And I might share those books too ...

Tomorrow ... 2010 Newbery Winner

8 comments:

  1. cool, Alissa!!! I love that you are sharing your knowledge and helping others wanting to read!! Way to go, birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Alissa! I caught your response and linked to your blog from Donald Miller's site. Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thanks for posting----and, Happy Birthday! I started having birthday parties again inviting everyone I know---its fun to mesh different friends, then they invite their friends, etc etc. I felt selfish or something at first, but it has turned into lots of fun! Take it from one who was fired on my 30th birthday then went home and drank champagne and watched Oprah--just do whatever you need to do to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And comments for me too!?!? Bonus!! Thanks for the birthday wishes!

    I've always had to share my birthdays. Not complaining, but it is different from having one big bash JUST for you.

    It never helped that my husband was usually gone for my birthday between the military, firefighting and other miscellaneous responsibilities.

    I just tweeted "strawberry shortcake for lunch and lemon bars for dessert." So I'm learning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alissa - I come by way of Don Miller's blog. Just wanted to wish you a SUPER FANTABULOUS AWESOMATASTIC BIRTHDAY :-)

    Best,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Have you read Don's new book Father Fiction...I left a reply for you on his blog...if you want a copy of it, I have one just for you. :)
    Send me your address and I will mail it off to you...if you want it.
    Again, Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Consider it mailed!

    ReplyDelete