Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Charlie Bone and the Red Knight

Charlie Bone and the Red Knight by Jenny Nimmo

I'm glad that the series is over. Am I disappointed in the series? A little. Did I enjoy the series? At the beginning. Will I recommend it? Not quickly.

When I have children who aren't quite ready for Harry Potter, yet long for a magical adventure, I suggest Charlie Bone. It looks like a big book - read: looks like a big kid book. Lines are double-spaced making the book appear twice as long as it is really.

My main concern with the series is that there was never a clear goal set that would denote the ending. So I was surprised to get number eight declaring that it was the end. It feels like she got tired and wanted to be done.

There were plenty of interesting characters. But there wasn't a lot of character development. There was a Red King that I was dying to meet, but never did. There was a Queen in the form of a horse that we met in one book but not again. The main character has the ability to travel through paintings and pictures. But he didn't use his abilities even once in this last book. The main character has a love interest in another world, and longs to see her again, but the longing is unrequited.

And what about the cats?!?! Aries, Leo and Sagitarius. They always appear when needed and then disappear. They belong with the Red King, but they are forever apart in this series.

Sorry, just couldn't get excited about this book. And I hate being unexcited by a book. Check out Jenny Nimmo's Chestnut Soldier series instead. It was republished with the success of her Charlie Bone books. It's a trilogy and the books are short. And they are different than our usual American fare. The author is Welsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment