Monday, September 27, 2010

City of Ashes

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

I might need an intervention. But I've discovered that I'm not alone in my obsession. There are actually other people out there, just like me, who feel compelled to finish all of the books in all of the series they have started. No matter how disappointed we are in the series. No matter how lackluster a series is. And no matter how much we tell ourselves that we are reading inferior literature, we simply cannot look away from the train wreck.

I began reading the Mortal Instruments trilogy because the first, City of Bones, won the Illinois Abraham Lincoln Award. I can definitely see why the teens like it. Vampires and werewolves and demons and love triangles are all very popular and not just right now, but they have been for a long time. When I was a teen, I had the works of Anne Rice including Interview With a Vampire. So in retrospect, I am glad there is a new resurgence of this genre specifically for the young adults. My mother probably shouldn't have encouraged my thirst for Rice's handiwork.

Having read this, the 2nd in the trilogy, I stumbled upon the fact that there are now two other trilogies in the works to be prequels, sequels, or maybe simply companions to this original work. And I have to ask myself, "are they worthy of my time?" And in two respects, yes - for a break and for a little fun.

I have talked to many teachers and librarians who fall back on acknowledged trash in order to give their minds a rest. Such novels require very little thought. I would consider it my dirty little secret, but many are quite willing to lay that info right out there.

Fun you ask? Why fun? I also discovered that Cassandra Clare got her start writing fan fiction for Harry Potter. She acknowledges that she borrowed extensive amounts of her work from various books and television series including Discworld, Harry, Buffy, The X-Files,and even fan fiction, while others would say that she definitely plagiarizes. Clare's reasoning is that it is all for fun and games. See how many lines you can recognize and from where.

If I look at her series from that light, I can accept and even tolerate it and my own decision to keep reading it. Because there is one thing I can agree upon concerning the Mortal Instruments.It is derivative. To explain this from my point of view, at times I can hear John Williams' Star Wars music playing in the background of my mind. So to continue reading these books, I will make a game out of how much I can find that's been lifted from elsewhere.

Now that I've cleared my conscience, here is the taboo. The main character, Clary, is madly in love with Jace and the feeling is returned, however, we found out in the last book that they are brother and sister. I don't have much of problem with this incestuous possibility because I get the feeling that they have been misinformed. I feel pretty strongly that they will turn out not to be related and therefore will be allowed to date much to their relief.

Alec, who was unable to hide the fact that he was gay in the first book has entered into a relationship with the High Warlock of Manhattan in the second book . But they both seem satisfied with keeping it quiet/secret around their family and friends.

Finally, and most importantly, this is demonology based upon myth and legend. And perhaps that is reason enough for me not to continue the series …

No comments:

Post a Comment