Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Necromancer

The Necromancer: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

I had a patron come into the library, having finished this book, to tell me that I would not like it. Luckily, I managed to cut her off before she could go much further. I hate to be primed or given any spoiler info. Spoiler info includes, "You will probably need a tissue, I did." I'm that anal OR that much of a purist. You can decide. I hate going into anything with expectations. I love to be surprised. I hate to be disappointed. In this case, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, really.

Number one. This addition to the series is much shorter – nearly half the size of the others. That actually helps. Perhaps there should have been more editting of the others. Perhaps they should have been broken down more. Perhaps the decision to present them according to strict titles was a mistake. I like the titles. They speak to something in my nature. But are they too rigid for creativity? Are they misleading? Do they drive the content too much? Case in point:

Artemis Fowl The Atlantis Complex. The publisher asked the author for headway on the next book. The author provided the publisher with the title. The publisher hired the illustrator to design the book cover. The cover was presented to the author. The cover shows Artemis in the water with Atlantis in the background. The author had never intended Atlantis to be visited in the book. It was merely the name of the mental illness affecting his main character. Hence a new direction for the story to be integrated. The cover was created without thought to the story line and therefor the story line was changed. Backwards? Ya' think?

Number two. The inevitable FINALLY happens! Spoiler alert. Josh finally goes over to the so-called darkside. It's been blatantly foreshadowed from the first book. About time. It's just not believable. All along, I have not bought into it. I will preface this argument by saying that he might have left Flamel for Dee under the "possession" of Mars Ultor. I cannot remember. But if this is the case, and I wish I could grab of copy the book, then there is no point for the building argument for Josh to desert Flamel.

I do not believe that Josh would turn to the darkside for three reasons. The first and primary reason is his twin sister Sophie. We have been led to believe that they are uniquely connected, like most twins would have us believe. They are relying upon each other during this incredible crisis of change in their life. If your sibling is the only one helping you keep your sanity, why on earth would you desert her?!?!?!?!

Reason two is that Flamel supposedly is not to be trusted. Ok, that's fine. He might not have been explicit in his plans, purposes or goals. But he is an adult, an immortal with the goal of saving the world with very little time in which to do it. Despite the size of theses books, by the time we reach this one, less than two weeks have occurred and all action-packed. It is not about intimate conversations and communications. It's about making sacrifices to save the world. Just another reason why have little tolerance for whiney Luke Skywalker – I mean Josh.

And reason three is that Dee smells bad when he uses magic – sulfur or rotten eggs. If that's not an indication to stay away from him, what is?

I am thrilled that this series seems to be coming to its conclusion! As always, it is the adults – the immortals – that are fun to follow. Favorite new character? Another twin!

No comments:

Post a Comment