Friday, October 1, 2010

The Red Pyramid

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

I'm so glad that for once I wasn't a book snob.

I remember when The Lightning Thief first came out in 2005. Another of my favorite books, Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver, was also published in 2005. I became interested in both when I checked them in as new books to our collection. Both the covers and the jacket summaries caught my attention, but at the time I was very busy reading the Rebecca Caudill Nominees and the Newbery Honor winners.

It was soon made obvious that our avid readers LOVED The Lightning Thief. Boys were coming in droves asking for it. I made a mental note that I would need to read it when I finished my current reading project. But the Rebecca Caudill Nominees 2009 announcement changed my priorities in 2008. Both of these books were on the list and so they moved up on my reading list.

And I loved both! As soon as I had finished the new crop of Caudill nominees, I diverted myself to devouring the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. I read Book 2 of the first and then Book 2 of the second. Then I read Book 3 of the first followed by Book 3 of the second. And I had an extremely hard time determining which series I preferred because I found both to be excellent.

When The Lightning Thief hit the theaters and a new crop of reluctant readers began to find their way to the library to read the series, I finally made my choice. I chose Wolf Brother and probably because it didn't sell out to Hollywood. And also primarily because the series is not complete and so I have more to look forward to.

My jaw dropped when I heard that Rick Riordan was publishing a new series known as the Kane Chronicles. The request list skyrocketed as soon as the item record was added to the catalog database. And I refused to join the fandom. A little like a U2 fan dropping the band as soon as they made the Top 40 with the masses. "How dare the man ink another book to the blueprint of his first series to be launched on the energy of a media-fueled mania for the motion picture of the original piece!" BREATHE.

I discovered a second catalog record for The Red Pyramid with a much shorter waiting period. And I quietly requested it. I secreted it home. I placed it on a shelf eager to NOT rush into it. I started reading it with snobbish disdain.

(Anyone who knows me, knows that I rarely use strong language. When I do, it is when I am impassioned or at wits end.)

"Gosh Darn it! I LOVE it!"

It's not like Percy Jackson at all. I think it's better.

I appreciated that they flipped the personalities of the brother and sister. Sadie is the brave and reckless sibling. Carter is the mild-mannered, cautious brainiac. Hard for me to identify with the appropriate gender, but this would be a delightful change for many.

It is a brilliant move to introduce the Western Civilization to another culture's rich mythology. I've dabbled in many, but most of us Liberal Arts grads are only fluent in Greek and Roman.

I adored the biracial family and how it is a part of the mindset even if it is only a small part of the internal dialog.

Now if I can just get over myself and accept that Riordan is going to publish yet a another series concurrently with this one. But I suppose with the proceeds from a movie, he has the time on his hands. Already on the request list for The Last Hero: Heroes of Olympus.

No comments:

Post a Comment