Sunday, November 21, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney

I was only slightly embarrassed a couple of times by carrying this particular book around with me. But first, I was proud of myself. Mr. John, fellow DPL Children's blogger, welcome John, checked in this new book. He began to read the first few pages and proceeded to read the entire book in one 40-minute sitting. FIRST. And it was MY book. MY request. MY turn. Hrrumph! Oh, but wait. I was proud of myself because I didn't let it bother me. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

See, I was actually quite pleased to hear that it was a quickie. Every once in a while, you need a break from the epic trilogies and Wimpy Kid has become my break. Of course, I didn't have 40 minutes of time all at one time in which to read MY copy. I had to do it in 2 sittings. And here is where the embarrassment comes in.

The first sitting – I was waiting outside of my daughter, Gabi's, dance class with my book as always. And in walks the triplets. Two boys and a girl. And one of the boys was sporting a brand new purple-covered Wimpy Kid. I'm guessing they are around 9 years old. I was faced with this fact – this child is my peer. We read the same books. I'm just a female and 30 years older.

The second sitting – I was at Guadalajara eating my dinner on break from the library. I went to pay my bill, armed with my purple book in hand. A lovely woman was standing at the checkout counter and remarked, "Oh! Well, then it must be good." Her son was reading it too. She didn't know if it was really a good choice for him or not. But seeing me read it, apparently made it okay for her child to read it. I believe I mumbled something along the lines of, "I'm a librarian. It's my job." As if I wouldn't read it otherwise. Would I? Hey, probably not. I am vindicated!

Nothing offensive here. As usual. Simple 5th-6th grade boy humor. Lovely.

One section had me laughing out loud. Okay, spewing chips and salsa and maybe some white cheese sauce. It was so true in my mind.

In this book, number five in the Wimpy Kid series, Greg's mom decides to head back to school. Improve herself. Do something for herself. And the men of the house, all four of them, are going to have to take on a little more of the responsibilities of running the household. They will have to pack their own lunches, make their own dinners and do the laundry.

Since mom is no longer around to help with homework, and big brother isn't exactly an academic type, it is up to Greg's dad to assist with his studies. Now mom was really great at helping Greg come up with the appropriate answers. Strike that. Make it – Greg's mom was really great at giving Greg all of the answers. But dad wants his son to learn something and really understand the mechanics behind the lessons.

Problem is – school isn't taught the same way it was taught years ago when dad was in junior high. The result? Dad takes about two hours to read Greg's textbook in order to teach his son the current, proper way to do the math problems. This really cuts into Greg's TV time!

But it gets worse! Dad is a lick-his-finger-to-turn-the-page page turner! It is extremely hard to figure in your head when you're trying desperately to remember all of the pages your father's saliva is stuck to! Ew, YUCK!

Welcome to my house. I'm not telling who's who.

Kids WILL buy this one and read it over and over and over and over again! I've already see the proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment