Saturday, November 20, 2010

Halt's Peril

Halt's Peril by John Flanagan

Librarians and teachers can be your very best friends. They certainly have servant's hearts. They will go out of their way to help you. Often times, they will continue to help you long after you have given up.

During DPL's Summer Reading Program, we rely heavily upon volunteers. Our adult volunteers are primarily retired librarian's; school librarians; and teachers, both retired and working. They continue to come back every year, so I have to assume that they enjoy it at least as much as we do, if not more. And we couldn't do it without them.

When we get to sit at the Summer Reading desk with one our volunteers, one of our favorite conversations is … I know, big surprise … what the other is currently reading or what is new to recommend. Every once in a while, you will find someone with the same tastes in children's books. I found that someone in a Decatur Public School Kindergarten teacher.

When Marsha visits the library during the school year, it is almost like Christmas. She is guaranteed to brighten my day. Have you read? Yes. How about? No. Then you must. Have you listened to? No. You really should. It's priceless. Have you heard of the? Yes, it's one of my favorites. Do you think I'll like it? You won't be able to put it down. It's that good.

Some of you may have heard or realized that the DPL book budget is semi frozen. It is November and we have only spent just under 8% of our usual book budget in Children's. Usually, we order at least three and sometimes up to six copies of a book that is known to be popular. Right now, we are lucky if we own one copy. In some instances we do not own any.

Being a heavy reader, I can feel the pinch. I have to wait longer to get the books I want to read and have had to order them from other libraries. In the past, this was unheard of. Marsha and I had to wait months to get a copy of Ranger's Apprentice Book 8. So where am I going with this?

Recently, I arrived at work and went to my desk to unload my burden. And there, sitting all bright and shiny, upon my desk, was a copy of Ranger's Apprentice Book 9 with a note from Marsha. She just had to buy it. She could NOT wait. And she knew that I would be eager to read it as well. So take my time and enjoy. WOW. Like I said – Christmas.

Crazier still, she had asked her husband to do it for her. A week later she visited to make sure I had received it and inform me that I would need a box of tissues. Another week later she visited and I was excited to tell her that I was finally going to be able to start it – that – very – day! And now I am finished, and it is sitting on my desk waiting for her next visit.

Suffice it to say, one librarian and one teacher agree that this book is not only worth the read, it is worth the purchase. I certainly would not mind receiving the complete boxed set for Christmas some year. It would be my own personal copy that I would willingly share with everyone just like my Chronicles of Narnia. Hmmmm. Come to think of it, I've owned at least three, maybe four sets of those … where do they all go?

No comments:

Post a Comment