Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Long Walk to Water

A Long Walk to Water Linda Sue Park

Okay, this is your last free day from the 2012 Caudills. And I am recommending this book to everyone. Yes, everyone. It was recommended to me by my one of my cohorts. Thank you John. I am currently brainstorming a way to work this into a Sunday School lesson in some way. We have it so very comfortable here, it breaks my heart.

“I read a book yesterday called A Long Walk to Water. There are two stories. In the present day, a fictional Sudanese girl walks to a pond twice a day to retrieve water for her family. The two trips take up her entire day.

In the not so distant past, a Sudanese boy is forced to flee his village due to war. He spends most of his childhood years as a refugee walking thousands of miles in between refugee camps. He ends up placed with an American family.

The two stories converge when the boy, now a man, returns to his homeland to bring water and education to his people. Not only does he build a well in the girl’s village, but because the children no longer need to spend their entire day walking to retrieve water, he builds a school for them.

The well doesn’t only bring life and hope to the village where it is located, but it also brings [life and hope] to the surrounding villages. A gift that keeps on giving, exponentially. And it comes out of the pain and suffering of one man’s, child’s life.

And there is more! The man and the girl are from two separate tribes that don’t even like each other! The two tribes have been fighting since before either of our characters was born. The tribes have fought and killed over land – rich land – water rich land.

Why am I book reviewing in the wrong blog? The power of a book is why. This book did more for my heart and mind and soul because it tells a story that demonstrates how our lives should be lived when filled with the Spirit.

This book shows me how one person found their passion, and through persistence, changed the way of life for the future of the children of his homeland.

I think we need to save the next generation from our stupor.”

Still me, but from a separate blog.

Yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that one of my girl’s dance instructors had returned from a two and a half year stint with the Peace Corps in Lesotho, Africa. I was insanely jealous. She intends to return and I don’t blame her.

No comments:

Post a Comment