Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Ring of Solomon: A Bartimaeus Novel

The Ring of Solomon: A Bartimaeus Novel by Jonathan Stroud

Very simply, I love the Bartimaeus Trilogy. I hadn’t considered it before, but Stroud might be in my list of favorite authors, after all, he wrote the character of Bartimaeus, and the demon makes these books so very enjoyable. But I will admit that I haven’t read anything else that he has written.

The Ring of Solomon was a giddy surprise – that it had been written and published. You might have noticed that I don’t keep up on publications. Some books, you know there will be more because you’re waiting for book three of the trilogy. Other times, like this one, you think it is done and you’re satisfied. But so thrilled to be surprised.

Another thing about me, I don’t read reviews, unless I am looking into purchasing for our collection and then I read them all. I don’t even read summaries until I have a book in my hand and I peruse the jacket cover. In the case of this book, I heard about it, requested it and then read it, content unseen.

And so … mark my astonishment when I realized that the Solomon of the title is THE King Solomon of Israel. I said right away that my red flag was up. And yes, on some level it should because this is religious territory …

But remember how much I loved Leviathan? This is the same kind of novel. An alternate universe. An alternate history.

In this alternate universe … how strange ... King Solomon gains his power not through the authority of the One True God and not because he is God’s chosen King over God’s chosen nation. No, his power is derived from a powerful ring. The ring is powerful because it contains the essence of an extremely powerful demon … or “exalted spirit” from the “Other Place” to use Bartimaeus’ terminology.

In addition, in the wrong hands, this ring would be used for evil; however, in the hands of good, wise King Solomon, its power is used with caution, authority, and moderation. And so King Solomon is a good human of his own accord and not because of his relationship with his God.

As far as literature, I must admit. This book is fabulous. I loved it. The characters were fun and interesting. Bartimaeus is still one of my favorite characters. He’s very human, although demonically powerful. I will gush.

I just wish very much, that it didn’t have to be King Solomon. That it could have been another King.

In the end, God is more powerful than a silly little fantasy book. God is all-powerful, almighty, omnipotent, omnipresent and UNcontained. Wild like Aslan. God has gifted Stroud immensely, and as my boss said, perhaps the book will lead a child to find out more about history based upon this romp.

I'd recommend this book to kids who have read and enjoyed the original trilogy although it could stand alone. Kids who enjoy magical fantasies will be drawn to this book. I've often recommended to kids who need something after Harry Potter. I always considered it a Golden Compass without the agenda. And I still do. Age-wise? 5th grade and up.

The Amulet of Samarkand
The Golem's Eye

Ptolemy's Gate

No comments:

Post a Comment