Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Powerless

Powerless by Matthew Cody

Who knew? The only comic books I ever read were Casper the Friendly Ghost and Archie. And that was because my grandma had them and I read them when I needed something to do. They were what were available. I never read the superhero comics. I was never interested. I’m still not friendly to graphic novels.

I DID grow up on superhero television and movies. I laughed at the TV Batman and Superman. I had the requisite crush on Christopher Reeves as Superman. I fell for each subsequent Batman actor … Michael Keaton? Val Kilmer! George Clooney? CHRISTIAN BALE! I was introduced to Spidey on the original Electric Company. My Saturday mornings were wasted away to the Hall of Justice. Aquaman was my favorite. And it is still fun to “Wonder Twin Powers – ACTIVATE!”

Forget the comic format! Forget remaking the old! Powerless as juvenile chapter book – ROCKS! And I never would have known about it except for the 2012 Caudill Nominees.

Meet ordinary, everyday protagonist, Daniel. What makes him special? His love of Sherlock Holmes and his brilliant attention to detail. Daniel and his family move from Philadelphia to the small town of Noble’s Green – The Safest Town on Earth. Daniel’s grandmother is dying of cancer, and his family moves in with her to provide needed assistance. Daniel becomes the “New Kid.”

The first kid he meets is Mollie Lee, the across-the-street neighbor. She is odd – friendly and yet aloof. And she saves Daniel’s brother George from being squashed by a passing car. At least he thinks she did. Either she is really FAST, or Daniel is crazy. Turns out, Mollie is not only the fastest kid around, but she is also the fastest FLYER around town.

Next Daniel meets Rohan. He is like an adult in miniature with his bowties, slacks and button down shirts. And then he has those glass bottle glasses. And when he speaks, he even sounds wise. It turns out, Rohan has super senses. He can hear ants building a new colony beneath the dirt. Those glasses? For reading. He is farsighted. He can see Lake Tranquility on the Moon.

It’s not long before Daniel has a run in with the school bully, Clay. What do you figure? He has super strength. There is only one “super” with the strength to stand up to Clay and that is Eric. He is like a young, idealistic Superman. Daniel is glad to find that he has been accepted by Mollie, Rohan and Eric despite his lack of super powers.

Being a “super” isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. On their thirteenth birthdays, they not only lose their super powers, but they lose their childhood memories of them as well. Mollie enlists super sleuth Daniel’s help in solving the mystery. Yes, Daniel uncovers the mystery, but he uncovers more than he is able to fight against. After all, he is ordinary and powerless.

This book has everything that a superhero comic book boasts including a Super Villain – check. Hoping for a sequel. This was a book that I didn’t know I was waiting for.

I would recommend this book to boys and girls, 5th through 8th grade, especially to those who love superheroes and/or mysteries. I like neither, and I really, really enjoyed this novel. There are lots of secrets to uncover. Oh, and you might wish to know that the bullies smoke cigars in one chapter. YUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment