Friday, April 8, 2011

Wild Things

Wild Things by Clay Carmichael

Here is a prime example of why I appreciate the Rebecca Caudill nominations. I read from lists in order to keep myself a well-rounded librarian. I never would have been enticed to read this novel otherwise. The cover does absolutely nothing for me. I think it is a bad representation of the novel. It is scary looking – slasher looking. And then there is the title. It shares its title with a questionable movie – a movie you probably wouldn’t allow your children to watch. But then I ask myself, Where the Wild Things Are? Why, at the library of course!

I find that I am not alone in these thoughts. I also find that I am not alone in loving this book and recommending it to my coworkers.

I am recommending this novel to girls 5th through 8th grade. The girls who will really appreciate it will be the ones who love animals, (Many of the chapters are written by the cat.) as well as the girls who have an artistic side.

Zöe, our main character, has just been accepted into foster care by her father’s half brother, Dr. Henry Royster. Henry was a preeminent cardiologist, (he performed open-heart surgery on the President,) before leaving the profession to become a full-time and highly praised artist specializing in metal sculptures.

Zöe never knew her father. He stayed with her mother long enough for there to be a Zöe and then disappeared. Zöe’s mother wasn’t present much more. She was mentally ill. She would keep herself well long enough to find her next man and then she would slide back into depression often leaving the newest man with the job of parenting. Zöe’s mother finally overdosed on prescription drugs.

Because Zöe was left to raise herself and parent the grownups, (she never attended school,) one would think that she would have some serious issues to overcome. Surprisingly, she is quite an amazing little grownup herself. Her only issue seems to be lack of trust in grownups. Not a surprise, huh?

No, Zöe tests quite high academically. She could practically be a high schooler. Of course the school officials choose to keep her in fifth grade where she is bored, but with her peers. An exceptional teacher gives her extra assignments to keep her engaged and exercise her special writing abilities. Wonder where she has acquired her knowledge? Besides her street smarts and experience, Zöe spent much of her free time at the library. YEA!!

If I could describe this novel with one sentence, I would say, “If you love something, don’t cage it - set it free.”

If you asked, what made this novel so special, I would say it has to be the unique characters including, but not limited to Mr. C’mere (the cat), Sister (the albino deer), Padre (the elderly priest with only one message), and Wil (the wild boy).

No comments:

Post a Comment