Friday, August 12, 2011

The Emperor of Nihon-Ja

The Emperor of Nihon-Ja by John Flanagan

It’s a sad, sad day. I try not to think too much about it or I will be devastatingly depressed. I have finished Ranger’s Apprentice – all 10 books. My only hope is that someday I will be retired with extra time on my hands and I will have the joy of reading them all a second time.

Once again, my good friend Marsha blessed me with the opportunity to read her personal copy rather than wait, and wait, and wait for DPL to purchase and receive a copy for children’s. She is SO forgiving. I’ve had it for weeks, months? I didn’t want to read it and then be done. I put it off until I could put it off no longer. I’m finally all caught up on my summer reading save two novels.

I didn’t even get to savor the book over the course of a week, stolen hours at night and in the morning while the girls were sleeping. No, I took it with me on vacation and read it straight through two days in the car. I finished the last ten pages at home in my own bed. I finished with a huge sigh. I will admit that I loved reading to my heart’s content. Especially since it was a book that I knew I would love from the beginning with characters that I wish were real.

Horace, the loyal and courageous knight, has been sent to Nihon-Ja to learn the battle techniques of the county’s warrior caste, the senshi. While there, Horace develops a very close relationship with the title character – the Emperor. So when an opposing ruler of a senshi group decides to stage a coup and the Emperor’s life is threatened, Horace chooses to stay and assist in regaining the throne for the Emperor.

The Royal Princess Cassandra of Araluen, better known as Evanlyn, is concerned when word arrives that Horace is missing. She gets support from her father, the King, and immediately sets off on a Skandian ship for Toscana where the Rangers Halt and Will along with the Courier Alyss are in negotiations with the Toscans and Arridi. No sooner stated than done, Alyss, Halt, Will and even our old friend, (and a favorite,) Selethen the Arridi, join Evanlyn on the Skandian ship headed to Nihon-Ja.

Flanagan, the brilliant master, as always, alternates his chapters between Toscana and Nihon-Ja, between Evanlyn’s traveling rescue party and Horace’s escaping refugees. I never can decide which side I prefer. I just know I get excited for each new chapter. Because eventually, when you least expect it, the two sides finally meet in a joyful reunion.

Reminiscent of one of Tolkien’s last stands, Horace’s party heads for the mountains and a legendary fortress capable of protecting the Emperor and his followers through the winter months. They need help locating the fortress first and upon finding it, they need help rebuilding and fortifying its walls. Thankfully, the Emperor has the support and loyalty of the common people, particularly the Kikori mountain people skilled in timber-felling and woodworking.

There is only one obstacle left. The enemy senshi are skilled warriors trained in battle since the age of ten and they are confident in their birthright. They also have the advantage of numbers. The Emperor’s supporting senshi number under fifty. What the Emperor has in the thousands are the peaceful, hardworking, commoners of the mountains – loyal to a fault, but untrained. That is all right. One of the Rangers still has an idea… if he can just wrap his fingers around it!

No comments:

Post a Comment