Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Magician's Elephant

The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo

There was a time when I thought I would read everything by Kate DiCamillo. But I am among the last of my compatriots to read this one. I really loved The Tale ofDespereaux. I led a book discussion of TheMiraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. And I found that the adult’s loved it and the children tolerated it. So when this one came out, I wasn’t in a rush to read it.
We ordered FIVE copies of this book and that is a tremendous indication of how revered this author is in the children’s department. We want you to read her books and we stand behind the quality of her writing. This book was recommended to me by a co-worker and “liked” by another co-worker. And I was ready to be dazzled. But I think the children and I are wishing for Ms. DiCamillo to return to her roots. We miss the style of Because of Winn-Dixie.
The nice thing about this book is that it is not only short, but it is a quick read. I read it in the car in one day traveling to our vacation destination. I am trying to figure out why I’m not thrilled with it. I am not against fantasy. I am not against books about the impossible like some co-workers I know. (luv u!) The best I can come up with is that I would prefer this style of book in a picture book format. Less words – more pictures. That might make it a graphic novel… and I still don’t care for those… But I’m definitely leaning towards all pictures and no words.
The story is about an orphan boy who lives with one of his father’s brother soldiers. The soldier drills him every day to be a good soldier like his father was. But the boy’s heart is not in it. He dreams about a sister that was born and taken from him. The soldier says she is dead, but the fortune teller says otherwise. The fortune teller tells the boy that an elephant will come to him and lead him to his sister. The boy must decide who to believe, for one must be lying.
On the other side of town, an orphan girl dreams of an elephant who will come and take her to where she belongs.
And in a theater, a magician intends to conjure up lilies for a lady in the audience, but a part of him is thinking grander thoughts. Instead, he conjures up an elephant that falls through the ceiling and onto the lap of the lady causing her great bodily injury.
And this is my favorite part of the book. Every day the lady visits the magician in prison to tell him that she is hurt. The magician always replies that he intended lilies. She cannot forgive him and he cannot convince her. The valet who brings the lady wishes for them to speak the truth and be done with it. I agree.
What I really relish these days are DiCamillo’s beginning readers. The Mercy Watson series and Bink and Gollie co-authored with Alison McGhee which I hope becomes a series. Perhaps I prefer her comedy to her philosophical dramas.
Recommended to adults with child-like imaginations.

No comments:

Post a Comment