Friday, December 23, 2011

Inheritance

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

This holiday season I have been absolutely, positively drained of life and not by the usual stresses and anxieties of Christmas. No, I have been sapped by a book – a book of 847 pages with over a hundred requests for it. I had until December 21st to finish it. I thought I had plenty of time – 28 days. If I had enjoyed the book, I would have had more than enough time. As it was, I forced 300 pages down my throat on the 20th and 21st. I hadn’t even realized that my brain was marking the book as one more obstacle to conquer before I could relax and enjoy “vacation”.
Why did I read it? I had hope, however faint, that Christopher Paolini would improve with age. I had faith, however meager, that a professional editor would reign him in and tighten up the ship. I wanted to love, in the same manner that his fans do, a great epic fantasy. Fantastical epic? It is because I am stubborn. And it is because I can. And I might be just a little too quick as well as happy to criticize.
The Eragon series has always been derivative and tedious. Inheritance is no different from its prequels. I wasn’t drawn into the story until around 600 pages. Most would have given up long before. But even after I was finally somewhat curious to see how the series would play out and wrap up, I still really only cared for about half of the chapters. I like Eragon, the boy-hero, okay. I really have no desire to read any more about his cousin Roran. But Murtagh could really be my favorite character given time, a better storyteller and a hard-working editor.
In the end, my favorite chapter – yes, I actually have a favorite chapter – was titled King Cat and it was towards the beginning. The werecats, led by King Grimr Halfpaw, decided to add their forces to Eragon’s side against King Galbatorix. Why did I like it? It was hilarious. I think Paolini was thinking of Antonio Banderas’ Puss in Boots at the time. Even the ridiculously, over- flowery language worked well. I noticed this particularly when I read it out loud on two occasions. Maybe that is the trick. Inheritance needs to be read out loud to appreciate the language? I wouldn’t have a voice when I was through!
When I was finally done… I was like, really? Seriously? I understand the choice of ending. I think it was a very mature and realistic ending. Classical. Tragic. But was I happy with it? I felt cheated. I only hope he doesn’t begin a new cycle to carry it further. If he does, I hope God grants me the ability to just say NO. Emphatically.
I found the following literary review very helpful in understanding why kids, boys in particular, continue to be drawn to this … this… I don’t know what to call it. I find it inferior writing. A lovely daydream carried out very poorly. I would be embarrassed to put this amateur attempt beside the pros. I would be embarrassed to be the editor of the finished piece. But, obviously, he’s the one getting published and making the big bucks.
The Dragon’s Egg: High Fantasy for Young Adults by Adam Gopnik published in The New Yorker.

No comments:

Post a Comment