Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Magyk

Magyk by Angie Sage

I rarely jump on suggestions to read books. After all, I have a list a mile long. I am certainly in no need of more. When I do take suggestions, it is because I trust the recommendations of the person. I generally know that we enjoy the same types of books. It is practically unheard of that I take a suggestion from a child/kid/tween. They come often with loud accolades. I think I learned my lesson in the first year. It doesn’t matter how much my favorite patron adores Captain Underpants, it is not for me.

Here is the exception. I have been recommending books for this particular Baum 6th grade girl for years. Her appetite is voracious and she devours the books quicker than I can supply them. I will suggest a book and her response has become, “I’ve read it. Have you read…?” To which my response has been, “Yes, I’ve read it. Then maybe you would like…” And we playfully battle it out until I mention something she hasn’t read. I place it in her hands and send her on her way.

She finally got me! with a book she has read and adored that I haven’t read! So what was I supposed to do… say no? She had me in the corner. (Here’s the secret… it was on my list, just at the very end, several years away.) So I checked it out that evening and here we are!

I will start by saying that I am a mite surprised that this series hasn’t shown up as a Caudill Nominee so far. I think I was perhaps waiting for it to make the list… Right away, I can say that it has been popular with tweenage girls. Haven’t had many boys ask for it although the main character is a boy and he’s the youngest of seven boys. I’m guessing that this can be attributed to the lack of action. It is more contemplative and time passes with very little action.

I don’t have a problem with that and I enjoyed this book tremendously. There were numerous, foreshadowed twists and turns in the plot. I find it amusing that the reader is privy to certain secrets that the characters are not. I was always eager for each new revelation. I enjoyed the responses of the characters to every unveiling.

As the title implies, there is magic between the covers of this novel. Some people are born to be witches and wizards and others are not. And there are varying degrees of magical ability. The most proficient wizards can aspire to attain the city’s highest magical position – ExtraOrdinary Wizard. Others with magical ability can choose to work under the ExtraOrdinary Wizard as Ordinary wizards. Still others don’t even work for the system/government.

Now, the seventh son of the seventh son will be born with extraordinary magical powers – a natural at all things magical. Such a boy would be an exceptional apprentice to the ExtraOrdinary Wizard. In fact, if someone wanted to be the ExtraOrdinary Wizard and gain the position through less than honorable means, having the seventh son of the seventh son on your side would practically guarantee success in your endeavors.

Septimus Heap, the seventh son of the seventh son, is kidnapped upon his birth in the first chapter of Magyk. The princess, daughter of the newly assassinated Queen, is unknowingly given in exchange. But all is not what it seems – it never is – and it takes the entire book to set things right. I cannot wait to see what the sequels have to add to the story. I truly appreciated the tongue-in-cheek humor and I think you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment