Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

“There was once a woman named Alissa who didn’t know what to do with herself – not just sometimes, but always.

“When she was at work she longed to be out, and when she was out she longed to be in. On the way she thought about coming home, and coming home she thought about going. Wherever she was she wished she were somewhere else, and when she got there she wondered why she’d bothered. Nothing really interested her – least of all the things that should have.”

And that is how The Phantom Tollbooth begins. Okay, I made a few adjustments. I made myself the protagonist. Because as soon as I read the opening remarks, I clearly identified with the main character. And I wondered to myself, “Why has it taken me so long to discover this book? I cannot believe I missed it the first time around!” And the second time around too – this is the Special 35th Anniversary Edition published in 1996.

So here is a boy, Milo, who doesn’t see the point in anything. Why go to school? Why study? Why learn? There are many adults out there who sound like grownup Milos. They say, “I told you so. I didn’t need math. I never use math. There is no point to requiring math.” And I think, “Really? I use math ALL THE TIME and I’m a librarian – not an engineer.” I’m usually among the first to argue the importance of a thing and why it must be required. You know, the importance of reading and such (smile). But is it merely for the sake of argument?

I am a closet Milo. Why should I read all of these books? Why should I write about them? Why should I work out? Why should I get up early just to get everything done? What is the point of doing something for me, for my pleasure? It’s easy to argue a point against a worthy adversary. Seems kind of … pointless… arguing with oneself.

What I am saying is that I completely identified with Milo. Now if I only would receive a Phantom Tollbooth.

Milo drives his toy car through the tollbooth and pays the toll and ends up in a whole new world! Most of the fun and the joy in this book come from the word play and puns. Milo finds himself transported to the old Kingdom of Wisdom. The sons of the king do not get along. One establishes himself as Azaz of the Unabridged, King of Dictionopolis and lover of all things letters and words. The other one becomes the Mathemagician of Digitopolis, lover of all things numerical.

To finally settle the score, which is more important to daily life, the brothers go to their younger sisters, Rhyme and Reason. The two young princesses will not choose between the two – true daughters of Wisdom – and are therefore banished to the Castle in the Air. Without Rhyme and Reason, the whole kingdom is left in Ruins.

Milo is given the quest to free Rhyme and Reason. Little does Milo know that the mission is futile and hence he succeeds!

My only disappointment with the novel is the ending. Somehow, I don’t think Milo will so easily change his mindset. I don’t think he will be spurred to learn. I think he will fall back into daydreams of his glory days with the Phantom Tollbooth, wishing his days away. Wishing that the tollbooth would return. I know I would. Isn’t that what the Pevensies always looked for? Another way, another opportunity to return to Narnia?

For lovers of language and word play!

No comments:

Post a Comment