Friday, February 15, 2013

Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal - the World's Most Dangerous Weapon

Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal - the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin

This book won the 2013 Robert F. Sibert Award for the most distinguished informational book [published in English in the preceding year] for its significant contribution to children’s literature. It received the corresponding 2013 award, Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults, as well. It was a 2012 National Book Award finalist. And it received a 2013 Newbery Honor. (Having read half of the 2013 Newberys so far, this is still, by FAR, my favorite!)

But more importantly! I, a confessed hater of nonfiction, cannot stop talking about it! I realize that I am not the only person who despises nonfiction. And I am not the only person of such disposition to come out and hail this book as simply – WOW!!!!! Steve Sheinkin, the author and former history textbook writer, has set the bar for future nonfiction exceptionally high. He has a gift. We are fortunate that he gave up his criminal past, writing textbooks, and turned toward the respectable goal of sharing his passion for all of the incredible and moving stories he uncovered during his research.

Bomb has everything! Presidents, Prime Ministers, Dictators. Assassins, Spies and Traitors. Awkward, socially-stunted scientists with morals. And gung-ho, commando, military officers who are not allowed to have them – morals. FBI, KGB, and my absolute favorite word – Saboteurs. Did I say everything? You wouldn’t be interested if I included wives, girlfriends and secretaries although they have a role as well.

This book includes everything that you never get to in history class with a lot of bit of science included. There are too many storylines to count, but they are all wrapped up succinctly into an anxiety-inducing race to win the War against Hitler. America rushes to build the bomb first, before Hitler acquires the weapon that would allow him to take over the world. And the Germans have a head start. Poor Russia is so far behind in the arms race that they must beg, borrow and steal to keep up.

I think this book is also very timely. I am not old enough to remember the terror of the Cold War. I have never been suitably afraid of the Bomb. I have limited textbook knowledge. I have heard the political rhetoric. But until now, I have only had a shallow awareness of the consequences of a country with atomic power, but no love for the global community. And the news out of North Korea is frightening alone. Forget the Middle East.

I am so excited about this book and this author that I have another of his works of nonfiction waiting on my desk – The Notorious Benedict Arnold. This is monumental in my book. Reading children’s nonfiction is a no-brainer for me. “Don’t bother.” But Steve Sheinkin seems set on changing my mind! He has succeeded. I read Bomb in two sittings. Captivating! Recommended to 5th graders through adults! WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment