Monday, February 25, 2013

The One and Only Ivan

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

Confession. I am the person who didn’t want to read this book. I am the person who was monumentally disappointed when it won the Newbery. I am the person who had thirty-eight books under her bed - 38 books that various librarians nationwide had picked to be in the serious running for the Newbery. Yes, Ivan was among them, but several others had caught my eye. Several made my hands itch to acquire them. Several demanded that I begin them NOW. And I would have except for the high demand created for the actual Newbery winner. I had to read it and release for the next patron.

I really don’t like sad animal stories. I really don’t want to be made to cry. And it is a sad animal story. And it did make me cry even though I tried hard to resist. But it is more than that. I felt guilty for not liking it. I felt guilty for actually disliking it. Now, this is nothing new. I rarely like the Newbery winner. I usually prefer at least one if not more of the honor books. This is to the point that I feel I actively choose to dislike the book. Lots of other folks seem to love it. Why can’t I? Very simply, we all have different tastes. And that is okay. So I am going to tell you what I think… honestly.

I found this book to be boring and plodding. It proved very well how excessively draining it would be to sit in a small enclosed cage day after day, year after year for a lifetime. And how exhilarating it would be to be free of it.

I don’t like poetry. Especially free verse. Who would have thought a gorilla would think in free verse? Okay, so maybe it’s not actually free verse, but it is substantially poetic. For an ape who thinks “Humans waste words… Humans speak too much… They chatter like chimps, crowding the world with their noise even when they have nothing to say,” he sure filled up 300 pages!

The illustrations. Ugh. Anthropomorphic animals. I’ve come up with a new word because of this book… Dumbosized. Not as in size – Ruby’s ears are not large. No, Ruby doesn’t look like a real elephant. She has been given huge human eyes. To play upon our emotions? Illustrations are few and far between and oddly chosen. And they are probably my least favorite part of the book.

And finally. I know, you’re begging me to stop. Animals are not people. I am not the only person to sense it, but there seems to be an underlying message in this novel that humans and animals are equal. A sign held in protest in the book reads, “Elephants are people too.” Ivan goes on quite a bit about humans, gorillas and chimps all belonging to the same family. Don’t get me wrong. Animals are important. They are a part of our world. We are the caretakers of this world and its resources (whether we do a good job or not.) But teaching our children that we are equal to gorillas? After all, a gorilla didn’t really write/think this novel.

Another Newbery down. I still think Bomb is the best in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment