Friday, June 7, 2013

Trust No One

Trust No One by Linda Sue Park

Okay, okay, okay, okay. So I said I was through, I know! I have no real excuse except that maybe I am a glutton for punishment. Or perhaps I already had this volume waiting at home. Or perhaps I cannot leave anything incomplete or unfinished. I can leave no stone unturned.

The good news is that this volume is far better than the previous, Shatterproof. The bad news is that it still has a lot wrong with it. There are inconsistencies that probably cannot be avoided with so many authors contributing to the series. They do not entirely bother me because I read so many other books in between that they do not blatantly stand out. However, I do believe that they tend to be responsible for the confusion between books. The inconsistencies make it harder to remember accurately what is important and what is at stake.

My favorite part? The terrific cliffhanger at the very, very end. No, I will not spoil it, but for once, the rest of the book is worth the wait. And yes, I have Book 6 at home waiting for me.

The lackluster parts? The Cahills knew there was a mole. They thought it was Ian. They finally discover the truth. And the problem is resolved nearly immediately. All of that suspense building for a disappointing outcome.

The Vespers are building a world-destroying machine, and all Amy can think about is… Ian and Jake. Which one does she love? Which one does she belong with? Is she cheating on Ian by kissing Jake? Is she misleading Jake? It won’t matter if the world is destroyed Amy. Snap out of it already!

But rather than snapping out of it, Amy actually pulls a 180. No longer is she a tough, fighting machine. No, now she is depressed. Amy is throwing in the towel. Amy is withdrawing from the world. Amy is slowly giving her responsibilities over to her brother Dan. Dan does not always make the best decisions.

But Dan does make the most interesting decisions!

If you have followed this far, we might as well continue together. I certainly won’t miss the next volume. But if you have managed not to get caught up in the media machine that is the 39 Clues. Don’t!!!! There is SOOOOOOOOOOO much better out there! Do. Not. Bother! Turn away! Go Back!

No comments:

Post a Comment