Sunday, January 22, 2012

A King's Ransom

A King's Ransom by Jude Watson

I find myself fighting the same old argument. Do I keep reading a series after I have already figured out the formula? Do I continue to read a series that is mediocre in my opinion when there are so very many good books out there waiting for me? And my innate inclination says yes. Besides, it is a short book. It is a quick read. It is relief from the sometimes laborious requirements on my lists. I’m so hard on myself. Smirk.

The other argument is do I keep reviewing them? Same answer. My natural tendencies require a yes. Because I never know who might be reading this time… This might be the review that captures some mother’s attention and finally finds that series that she can put in her son’s hand that sets him off and running in my world!

Seriously though, I am glad I didn’t skip this book. I will liken it to The Empire Strikes Back on a lesser scale. Important personages are disposed of and miraculous, although odious, revelations are uncovered. And the audience gasps OR screams NOOOOOOoooooooo!

First we met the Cahill family which is divided into four distinct lines. There are the Ekat, Janus, Lucian and Tomas, each group hoping to discover the 39 clues before one of the other families does. Our main characters, Amy and Dan, were curious as to which family they belonged to. And then a fifth family was revealed – the Madrigals. At first we were led to believe they are evil. In truth, they are working towards a higher calling – protecting the 39 clues while bringing the family back together.

Now that the Madrigals are the good side and even the winning side with most of the children from the various families working together under this moniker with or without the support of their grownups, we needed a new threat. Enter the Vespers. The Vespers are older even than the Cahills. They are not a family, but an organization grown from recruitment. Their aspiration seems to be to rule the world, hence their desire to acquire the super human serum that the 39 clues produces.

Except that the first two books in the Cahills vs. Vespers have very little to do with the 39 Clues. Dan is slowly acquiring the ingredients just in case their situation becomes too dire. But the Vespers are not asking for the serum or its ingredients. In The Medusa Plot, Vesper 1 asked for a work of art which led the Cahills to a book written by Marco Polo. In this volume, Vesper 1 asks for an ancient map. And somehow Marco Polo connects the two.

Luckily Amy and Dan will receive additional assistance to put the puzzle together. Not only do they have the support from their Cahill family, but a new group has appeared – the Guardians. The Guardians have protected the map and moved it from location to location as necessary to protect it. The Guardians have worked with the Cahills before, but the newest Guardian isn’t even aware of what he is. Nor does he understand his importance.

The greatest obstacle impeding Amy and Dan from working with the Guardians is proving that the Cahills are in the right even as Interpol is chasing them for their theft in the previous volume. It is hard to prove the integrity of your character when your reputation for thievery precedes you. Or perhaps Amy and Dan are just as bad as the Vespers. It might be in their blood.

Previous 39 Clues reviews:
The Medusa Plot # 1 Cahills vs. Vespers
Vespers Rising # 11 39 Clues
Into the Gauntlet # 10 39 Clues
Storm Warning # 9 39 Clues

No comments:

Post a Comment