Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Peak

Peak by Roland Smith

I’ve been putting this off. My co-worker informed me that he had just blogged about this book the day I started it. And he’s pretty terrific. I considered just providing a link to his review and being done with it, but then I would be left incomplete. Besides, I might have an entirely different view of the book. And our missions are different. He talks about books for boys. I talk about the books I read. I will tell you, I haven’t even read his take on this book. I didn’t want to inform my own thoughts. Yet, here I am. Still procrastinating. Affected.

I met Roland Smith once and heard him talk about his book, Zach’s Lie, which I highly recommend along with it sequel Jack’s Run. He is a very nice man. I think I have a picture somewhere ... Perhaps at the library. I’ll look tonight. I pretty much recommend every book in the children’s department that he has written ... and the boys have usually beat me to it!

I would recommend this 2012 Caudill Nominee to boys ages 10 to 15. I would recommend it to any rock or wall climbers. I would also recommend it to boys dealing with the after effects of divorce and blended families.

Peak Marcello, our protagonist, has just landed himself in juvie for climbing a skyscraper – and getting caught. He left his “tag”, mark, stenciled blue mountain peak, on numerous other skyscrapers without getting caught, but now he can be traced to previous vandalism of the city’s towers. The prosecutors and judge intend to make an example of him to prevent other children from future attempts.

Peak’s wealthy, lawyer step-father has pulled every string and connection he has, but it is Peak’s biological father, whom he hasn’t seen in seven years, who saves the day. Peak’s father, called Josh, leaves his clients on Mt. Everest to come to the rescue of his son. Josh can guarantee that he can slip Peak out of the city and out of the spotlight at no cost to New York City. But is Josh really there to save Peak from three years in juvie OR is he there to save his own skin?

So here is what I really appreciate about this novel. It’s not a fairy tale. It is not all fun and games. Peak is smart and he sees right through the “rescue”. Josh looks wealthy on paper, but the truth is he is deep in debt. And Peak’s trouble provides an answer. Josh intends to recoup his money by putting the first 14-year-old on the summit of Mt. Everest. He will be able to retire off of the proceeds of the interviews and documentaries.

But they have very little time. A small window of opportunity before Peak’s 15th birthday and Everest is unforgiving. It is a life or death climb. It is a gamble with Peak’s life.

One more Caudill to go! Yippee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment