Friday, June 17, 2011

Pegasus

Pegasus by Robin McKinley

This book is so lovely; I am almost tempted not to spoil it with a review. But when a book is too beautiful to put down, too entrancing to finish, I want to share it with others - others who would appreciate the artistry.

Robin McKinley is one of those authors that I admire, not for her gift of words and imagery, which she is overflowing with, but for her willingness to share the vulnerable stories in her head. She has taken me to a world that I don’t wish to leave by giving me a glimpse into herself. It’s like putting her heart between two covers.

I cannot explain it well. I don’t feel manipulated. I don’t see a blueprint. The movie doesn’t blare in my mind and across my retinas. There is definitely a sense of danger and violence. You want to jump into the pages like Interrupting Chicken and shout “SAY SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!” But you understand fully why the heroine wouldn’t or couldn’t. She feels impotent.

The book feels so real and yet it is fantasy.

Something finally clicked into place for me in church last Sunday morning. Yeah. Seriously. We were singing the final hymn, The Strong Word, which is one of my favorites, and we came to the verse,

God the Father, light-creator,

To Thee laud and honor be.

To Thee, Light from Light begotten,

Praise be sung eternally.

Holy Spirit, light-revealer,

Glory, glory be to Thee.

Mortals, angels, now and ever

Praise the Holy Trinity!

When I came to the highlighted part, Mortals, Angels, I was enlightened. Whenever an angel appeared to a mortal, they were awestruck and afraid. And the angels say, “Do not be afraid.” And I try to grasp a being that would frighten me as well as bring me to my knees in awe. A being that would frighten me, know it would frighten me and seek to reassure me.

Our heroine, Sylvi is a princess. She is the fourth child and only daughter of the King of Balsinland. She is very small for her age and easily forgotten because of both her status and stature. When a member of the royal family turns twelve, they are bonded to a Pegasus from the neighboring kingdom. The reader would be tempted to think that this would be incredible – you’re very own Pegasus friend.

However, Pegasi speak to each other through a silent language that is comprised of body language and words and thoughts. A human being, without mobile ears, a tail, wings or four hooves would have trouble enough communicating with a Pegasus if they spoke the same language. The two beings, human and Pegasi, speak very ill with each other indeed. They try, but it is simply, hardly feasible. They have trained magicians who are called Speakers that act as translators. But even they cannot convey the entirety of a message.

So why would the two races attempt a friendship? The Pegasi are not a warrior race. They are not built for combat. They are more of an artistic race. 800 years ago, when the humans first encroached on the lands utilized by the Pegasi, the humans drove off the ladons, wyverns, norindours and taralians that threatened the winged horses. The Pegasi were grateful and the two species established a treaty of friendship. The human/Pegasus bond was established to promote the friendship. And the friendship and proximity of the Pegasi bless the humans and their land.

Sylvi, a trained and educated princess, is well aware of the history of her kingdom and the unique nature of their friendship with the Pegasi. Even though she has grown up surrounded by the Pegasi bond-friends, she is still frightened by her own approaching bonding ceremony. How can one have an “Excellent Friend” if you cannot communicate with each other and need a translator?

Let’s forget the lack of solid communication. Sylvi cannot imagine being bonded to such a startling and magnificent creature. The Pegasi and their beauty and creativity take one’s breath away. The sight of the gorgeous, prismatic, graceful, yet powerful Pegasi as they fly through the sky bring mature and experienced warriors to their knees in combined wonder and fright. See?… angels. Sylvi feels small and insignificant – unworthy.

But something incredible and dangerous happens at Sylvi’s bonding ceremony. Even before the magical bond spells are begun… she can speak with her future bond-friend. His name is Ebon. He told her so! In fact, as the spell begins, it feels more like they are being separated than joined, and Ebon feels it as well.

Sylvi has always found the magicians to be rather, well, creepy. Perhaps there is a reason.

My only complaint about this book is its abrupt ending. I was tempted to hurl the book across the room. I can only hope there is a sequel in the works.

I would expect to find this book in the hands of the girls with their heads in the clouds. The dreamers. 8th grade and up. Younger girls might be tempted to attempt Pegasus, but they might not be able to follow it and catch everything the first time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment