Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Warlock

The Warlock: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

My new computer just rebooted itself and lost my 30 minutes of work. And this is my day off? I cannot be this snarky at 6:41 in the morning.

The last of this series, The Enchantress, will be published next summer. Whew, a break. Wow, I cannot even write with humor anymore. It’s all sarcasm. And dripping venom.

There were many of us, adults, who were sorely disappointed by the last book, The Necromancer, it is certainly the weakest in the series. The Warlock is better. We each agree to different degrees.

I still have two problems with this series. The first is that it attempts to tackle too much. Every legend. Every mythology. Every monster ever mentioned from every culture. There are too many characters and they each serve from multiple sides. Friends at the beginning have now turned traitorous. Mortal enemies are now helping each other. NO ONE is what they are. Everyone has at least two faces.

Except for our protagonists who continue to be wishy-washy, whiney Luke Skywalkers who are supposedly amazingly powerful, but who have no maturity or conviction.

And number two. This still doesn’t feel like a juvenile book. I could not identify with the kids in this book. The adults/immortals are far more interesting and vital.

I don’t recommend this book. I don’t need to. The series has a following regardless. Similar to the derivative Eragon series. Enough said. There are far more, far better books to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment