Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Place of Lions

The Place of Lions by Eric Campbell

I was listening to the radio yesterday and there was a discussion of Mr. Popper’s Penguins, the movie. They mentioned that it was a Newbery Honor book. I looked at my husband and said, “Do you know how old that book is? I haven’t read it yet and I’m currently reading the late 1950’s Newbery Honor books.” Yeah, it was recognized in 1939! And then I realized that I’ve read over 50 years’ worth of Newbery books and have about 30 years’ worth to go. I don’t know whether to be excited or depressed. There is hope in that reading them backwards, there is an finite end – 1922.

And then I considered the Caudill’s. I’ve read about 16 years’ worth of nominees. And I have around 9 years to go. That sounds almost manageable. Almost. I’m reading in the 1996’s. And that is why I am offering this book today.

Here is a note of warning. The Decatur Public Library’s copy has some interesting pagination issues. Enough that you might be tempted to return it unread. I can assure you that all pages are present and accounted for. You will not miss anything. You will just be reading a few 4-6 page chunks backwards. At least they are numbered. And you really need to be awake or some portions won’t make any sense.

When I was looking for a picture of the cover, I noticed that a picture of the Decatur copy wasn’t available. That is promising. The problem was fixed and it was republished. I need to remember to say something. Surely we would replace it if we found it worth replacing.

Would I be in favor of replacing it? Now that I have read it and know exactly the kind of child – boy – who would read it. Yes. So if you have a son (or daughter) who loves Gary Paulsen’s Hatchet or almost any of the adventure books by Will Hobbs, you now have another summer reading suggestion.

Chris’s mother died recently and since that time, he and his father have only been going through the motions. They are having a difficult time dealing with their grief. But now there is a new hope. A thrilling new adventure awaits them. Chris’s father has been asked to take a position at a hospital in Tanzania. Both father and son eagerly await their new home.

And they get so close.

As their pilot flies them over the Serengeti desert giving them a panoramic view of the beautiful country and its many wild species, a startled venue of vultures rises up into the air and right into the plane’s engines. The crash leaves only Chris mobile and the pilot is in urgent need of care. His injuries are life threatening. Chris decides that it is up to him to walk to the nearest known populated location – a hotel.

Chris and the two men are not alone. Close to the crash site is a pride of lions. The King is old and a young male is threatening him. Chris finds himself cheering for the King. He realizes his safety as well as his survival depends on the aging King.

The epilogue gave me goosebumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment