Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Whispering Mountain

The Whispering Mountain by Joan Aiken

Sometimes it doesn’t matter how hard you think you did your homework, you still miss something. When I started reading the Wolves Chronicles, also known as the Wolves of Willoughby Chase series, by Joan Aiken, I thought there were a few books, maybe several, based upon those available on our bookshelves at  Decatur Public Library. Then I discovered there were more and DPL didn’t own them all. As I started searching, I found more than ten novels in the series, but no clear order. I ordered one thinking it was third only to discover that it was actually the fourth. This is that book. And it’s not fourth.
When I finally sat down to read this book, I noticed that there was no mention of Wolves on the jacket. There was maybe a millisecond when I thought I’d just skip it and jump right into the next 39 Clues, maybe less than a millisecond. I couldn’t abandon the book that I had checked out twice and had already sent back once. The poor book that nobody else wanted and therefore it was okay that I kept it a bit, okay a whole lot of bit, longer that I should have. Besides, you never know when you might discover treasure.
As I read the story, I never did see a direct connection to Wolves, but it didn’t matter. The tale was magical in and of itself and as I have already pointed out, Wolves titles seem loosely related.
This go around, we are introduced to young Owen Hughes, the son of a Sea Captain who has been lost at sea. Owen has found his grandfather, retired sea Captain Owen Hughes, who is now the curator of a museum in Pennygaff, Wales.
As so often is the case, Owen is a social outcast at his new school. When we first meet him, he is planning his escape from school and the school bullies. But he runs home to another version of bullying. His grandfather doesn’t quite believe Owen to be who he says he is and therefore is quite hard on the younger Owen and doesn’t fully trust him. Grandfather thinks Owen weak of heart.
Owen does have a friend in the form of Aramis Dando, the daughter of the poet/bard, Thomas Dando. Mr. Dando travels across the country as a sort of medicine man, although Aramis does the doctoring while absent-minded Dando is busy writing his great Welsh poem – The King of Caerlon, a retelling of the King Arthur story.
Owen is considers running away and joining Aramis on the other side of Fig-Hat Ben, a local mountain. He has just written his farewell letter for his grandfather when the museum is broken into. Two bumbling burglars, Bilk and Prigman, have arrived to steal the fabled Harp of Teirtu. The robbers decide to take Owen along and blame the theft on him. Owen feels responsible for gaining the harp back and begins to act in a manner that his grandfather will respect.
This is a novel full of unique characters, legends and myths including the Seljuk of Rum who is looking for his lost tribe, missing for two thousand years. There is also the Marquess of Malyn, an evil lord who wants to claim the harp for his own collection of gold. And finally, we have the Children of the Pit. Are they fairy or fable?
Funny that I discovered today that The Whispering Mountain is considered the prequel to Wolves. Now I’m particularly curious to see if and when the books in this series coalesce.
Recommended to those interested in Welsh lore… Did you know that the harp is the National instrument of Wales? Recommended to kids who have enjoyed the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. Recommended to kids who like a good mystery fantasy. Recommended to kids who enjoy any book where hidden tunnels and secret passageways are involved for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment