Monday, April 16, 2012

Darth Paper Strikes Back

Darth Paper Strikes Back: An Origami Yoda Book by Tom Angleberger (audio book)

“Always trust your instincts.” That is what I wrote in my review of The Strange Case of Origami Yoda. The point I was trying to make was that I had picked up that book twice thinking that I should read it, but chose not to. I should have followed my instincts and read it when I first considered it and I would have been seven books ahead in the great Caudill race. I would like to change my point. Still, trust your instincts; however, I should have just put the book back down.

This series of books is going to have a following regardless, so I do not feel so bad giving it a less than stellar review. In fact, boys, have at it. It is perfect for mindless summer reading – if you like reading about school during your summer vacation.

Let’s see, the book is around 150 pages. It follows in the footsteps of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. There are childlike illustrations or doodles throughout. Like the original, Darth Paper is presented as a case file. There are short anecdotes provided by various classmates that are involved. The main narrator, Tommy, comments on those anecdotes and then Tommy’s now arch-nemesis, Harvey, adds a comment of his own. These all lend to the book’s attractiveness to the reluctant reader or child in need of a quick-read.

But there is more. The series combines two, always popular subjects – Star Wars and origami. In my nine years at Decatur Public Library, the enthusiasm for origami, the art of paper folding, has never waned. In fact, I would guess that our origami section was the very first section I learned to walk to without having to look it up or ask for a call number. It is a heavily traveled path. Each book provides the blueprint for making the various characters mentioned in the book as well as ideas for more.

And Star Wars? Do I even have to go there? We have graphic novels, books of movie stills, books of vehicular and architectural cross-sections, beginning readers, paperbacks. We don’t carry Spongebob, Pokemon, Barbie or any other books based upon TV shows or movies. But we happily provide Star Wars. Right here, right now, my favorite part of Darth Paper is all of the quotes from the movies. Sometimes the quotes are slightly altered so you have to think hard to make the appropriate connection, but that can be even more fun. Who doesn’t quote Stars Wars in their daily life anyway?

Back to business. Looking at the covers of these books, I am thinking they really grab the attention of the early elementary boys. (And me, yes, and me.) They are slight in size and colorful. I know some first grade boys who would be immediately drawn to them and could even read them – smart cookies – but the content is older. The kids were 6th graders in Origami Yoda. Now, in Darth Paper, they are all in 7th grade. Not to say that 7th graders wouldn’t be reading this book… but I think it is a stretch. A book they might hide at home under their pillow. Do boys do that? Not something they would admit to at school. Come on! Everything is Hunger Games now. And it doesn’t compare. Feel free to correct me. I just think there is disjunction between who the book is written for and who it is marketed to.

Fine. The first book’s case file set out to prove that Origami Yoda was real. This is a different kind of case file. Dwight, the maker of Origami Yoda, has been suspended from school. The principal is recommending to the school board that Dwight be transferred to a school for kids with behavioral problems. Origami Yoda’s last piece of advice for Tommy before Dwight leaves is to defend Dwight with another case file. Tommy thinks this is a great idea and gets right to work compiling anecdotes and acquiring signatures to present to the school board to prove that Dwight is not a violent troublemaker.

Once again, Tommy “Skywalker” sets out to protect the innocent and save the student population. But Harvey is back as well. He no longer sports a “better” Yoda finger puppet. He has turned to the Dark Side. Now Harvey sports Darth Paper and he is out to destroy Dwight!

Seriously, the quotes are the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment