Sunday, April 1, 2012

Lulu and the Brontosaurus

Lulu and the Brontosaurus by Judith Viorst

As my eldest daughter and her friends have gotten older, my choices in books to read have aged with them. Not only did I cover the Caudills, but I also added in a mix of Abraham Lincolns which are meant for High Schoolers. Let’s just say that I was preparing myself in advance. But I have a younger daughter who has really come into her own as far as reading is concerned. She truly shares my love of books and she is just perfect for the Monarchs.
I have always read the picture books on the Monarch the list. I usually take them home to share. In the past I even took home the chapter books and read them to my girls at bedtime. I am not sure when I stopped or why, but I shouldn’t. I am missing out and therefore my daughters are missing out on some terrific books! My first choice from the 2013 Monarch Nominee list is delightful! And I think, no, I know my daughter will love it! Probably both of them to tell the truth.
Lulu and the Brontosaurus is under 120 pages and full of black and white illustrations created by Lane Smith. Pictures are on practically every page! There are thirteen chapters and three thirteenth chapters. The kids should love this because there are three alternate though similar endings to choose from.  Although, why choose when you can have all three! The chapters are short in length, varying from one to seven pages. And the text takes up two-thirds of each 9 inch tall page at most. So it looks like you have a chapter book, but it is pleasingly simple on the inside. An adult could read it in an hour.
Meet Lulu, an only child, who knows what she wants; when she wants it; and how to get it. Screeching, flailing, and kicking until her parents give in. And give in they do – every single time. Lulu has never heard the word “no”. Lulu wants everything and regularly bursts the light bulbs with her temper tantrums to get everything. Until that fateful day when Lulu decides she wants a pet brontosaurus.
Lulu’s parents finally stand their ground. As if they had a choice. Where would they house a gigantic dinosaur? How could they feed it? Seriously, where would they find one? Lulu’s parents think they have a win under their belt. For twelve days, Lulu requests a brontosaurus for a pet. For twelve days, Lulu’s parents say no. For twelve days, Lulu screeches and wails until all of the china breaks. On the thirteenth day, Lulu decides to take matters into her own hands. She packs a suitcase full of every possible thing she might need and sets off into the forest on the hunt for a brontosaurus!
Find a brontosaurus she does. But she could never anticipate the brontosaurus’ response. Why, he thinks having a pet is a fine idea, but he doesn’t want to be one. He wants one of his own and Lulu looks like the obvious choice for a brontosaurus. As Lulu attempts to negotiate her release, she learns a lesson in manners. Her screeches and wails turn into soft murmurings full of please. When Lulu eventually returns home, she is a different daughter, smart as well as kind. And she even has several new friends to boot!
The Monarch Award: Illinois’ K-3 Readers’ Choice Award
The Monarch is designed to encourage children to read critically and become familiar with children’s books, authors and illustrators. The name Monarch was chosen because of its familiarity to K-3 children and to symbolize the growth, change and freedom that becoming a reader brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment