Tuesday, April 17, 2012

World War Z

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (audio book)

I never thought I would read a zombie book. Never, never, never.  My fascination has always been with vampires. I think I spent my college years reading Anne Rice in between William Shakespeare.  Strike “in between”. Correction – “rather than”. My cousin made me sit through a few Night of the Living Dead “films”. Not even memorable, merely torturous. I watched Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland, both zombie comedies, and really enjoyed them. I picked them out. I’m not proud of it, but we laughed until we cried which made it worth it.

I finally gave in to the zombie genre when WWZ made the Abraham Lincoln Nominee list last year. And I appreciated it.

It was not an easy read and not because of the subject matter. At times it was laborious because of the technical content. I am certain that people with a military background or enthusiasm could digest the surplus of information more fluidly than I did. World travelers might also have greater luck in following the rhythm of the book that’s scope is international. I was saved by the brevity of the “chapters”.

The “chapters” are personal interviews with people who have survived the Great Panic and the ten reconstruction years following. The interviews are grouped into chronological sections. The sections are arranged in such a way as to tell the story of the Zombie War.

The people interviewed for this fictional book come from all walks of life. There are army grunts and naval admirals. There are vice-presidents and feral children grown-up. There are civilians who distinguished themselves as heroes and outcast techno geeks who were cowardly enough to survive. There are the people who developed the plan for cross-country survival, the people who put the strategy into action and the people who carried out the orders.

The amazing part of this book is that these same people represent multiple countries. Patient Zero was discovered in China, the same country that continued to feed misinformation to its people. Israel was the first country to quarantine its borders. South Africa was the first country to find a solution. Russia discovered religion while fighting the war.  The United States was the first country to reclaim its countryside from the zombies. Iceland was obliterated and Cuba came out victorious. And that is just a glimpse. It is really that comprehensive.

There are two reasons why I will recommend this book. Number one – it is not a dystopian culture that is presented here. This is the actual annihilation of a world population. This is the war to end all wars. This is the war that knocks us to our feet. It is the war from which we might not recover. I love that! So many dystopian novels assume that something traumatic has happened, but the book is about the society that was created afterwards. The novel might allude to a plague or a bomb or a meteor, but that isn’t what the book is about. This book is about the catastrophic event!

And, number two; it is in no way whatsoever a comedy. In fact, the term zombie is rarely utilized. Part of the reason that it took so long to accept the “zombie” plague as reality is that it seemed so very unbelievable. There was much cover up and propaganda. There were people that took advantage of the lack of information available and other people who suffered from that ignorance. The book is terrifying because it is written and presented so well. I certainly didn’t recall images of b-rated black and white films. I am impressed. And that is a rare compliment.

I recommend this book to young adults, primarily the males. I can see military-minded men enjoying this. Very thought-provoking as well. It would be intriguing to spend more time on it. I’d like to diagram the characters and countries and plots and how they are connected.. I think a military course would benefit from it – worse-case scenario!

Don’t worry if you don’t have time to read it. The movie is set to be released June 2013 and stars Brad Pitt. I think that will sell it! Don’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment