Friday, June 22, 2012

Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom

Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom by Eric Wight

Part graphic novel/comic book and part chapter book. Part Indiana Jones and part middle school boy next door. This Monarch nominee captured part “my imagination” and part “what every child dreams of.” And was devoured in one sitting.
When I was growing up, my room was my Narnia and my backyard was my Galaxy Far, Far Away. I could easily escape into my fantasy and away from the demands of my mom by climbing across the swing set and into the fields beyond. I could quickly evade my younger siblings and their tantrums by closing my bedroom door. In fact, I probably spent more of my time in my mind than in the physical present. Now I see that it was how I survived and it was not unusual for a few of my closest friends to join me when we were younger. But they left it behind sooner than I did. Actually, I still live there much of the time.
As I started reading this book, I thought, “The author really gets it. He has a true grasp of the mind of a child with a vivid imagination.” For instance, there are pictures on every page. This child never really leaves his fantasy, but you can tell when he has fully entered it when the pages leave prose behind and enter the standard framework of a graphic novel. The fantasy grows, expands or changes as a different toy is discovered or a new person enters the room.
Frankie Pickle, (an endearing nickname for the more cumbersome Franklin Piccolini,) is your average adventure-loving, superhero-adoring, laundry-illiterate boy. No different from my own children, when Frankie is called away from his latest escapade, he leaves everything right where it is so he can pick up where he left off – later. Later might be after dinner… or next week. He might have several “storylines” going at a time. And forget everyday chores. Why pick up the laundry when the Dryer Sheet Fairy will take care of it in due time.
Unfortunately for Frankie, the Dryer Sheet Fairy goes on strike when Frankie’s mother decides to let Frankie keep his room the way he prefers best – messy. As you can imagine, Frankie’s got everything under control and exactly how he likes it when things start to go wrong. He steps on and breaks his favorite GoGo Robo which he doesn’t see under the pile of dirty clothes. An unusual stench begins to fill the air – something rotten – and he cannot seem to locate the source. His empty closet requires some creative (embarrassing) dressing. Finally, no one wants to play with him on family game night because of the stink emanating from his own person – yep, Frankie’s not cleaning his room and he isn’t cleaning himself either!
It’s not until the nightmares begin – whirlpools of garbage sucking him out of his house – that he realizes he has a new job – damage control. Thus begins Frankie’s most difficult adventure yet – making a pathway through his room to the Closet of Doom. Will Frankie defeat the eight-eyed mold monster? More importantly, will the Dryer Sheet Fairy return before he’s down to his birthday suit?
Looking forward to more! The Monarch Award is geared towards Kindergarten thru 4th-graders, but I think there would be some older kids that would enjoy a 30 minute diversion back into their "childhood!"

No comments:

Post a Comment