Thursday, June 28, 2012

How Tia Lola Came to Visit Stay

How Tia Lola Came to Visit Stay by Julia Alvarez

I am not fond of contemporary realistic fiction.
I sit here and stare at that sentence. It is the absolute truth. Contemporary realistic fiction bores me. Oh, there are a few that stand out – distinguish themselves from the pack. They usually end up on the Caudill list. It might be humor that makes the ordinary enjoyable. Or it might be an unusual situation that holds the reader’s attention. With the most recent list of nominees, it was the point of view, the unique narrator’s voice that added the twist.
This title comes from the Bluestem Award list which in and of itself bores me. I find it redundant. It covers a group of children that are already covered via the Caudills and the Monarchs. However, the Caudills seem to be maturing right along with the children who are reading them. The Monarchs are mostly picture books which might seem babyish. And so we have a list that is “younger” than the Caudills and “older” than the Monarchs, but draws further into past books and also revisits old Caudills. Is it just that we have too many books being published?
So, the ordinary… Here we have another book about displaced children. Main character Miguel and younger sister Juanita have moved from New York City to a small town in Vermont following the divorce of their parents. What is nice… we are never told why the parents divorced. This is not a subject that is ever broached. This feels realistic for me. I never understood why my parents separated. I was too young for such an adult subject. And any arguments never played out in front of me. I don’t know how true this is for other children affected by divorce.
What I identified with… a very colorful “aunt” who brightens up any room, any day and can make any hurt feel better. Yes, I have my very own Tía Lola. I call her Auntie Phyllis and she is not my aunt. She is my mom’s best friend from her younger days – her first roommate after leaving home and heading for the big city of Decatur. Auntie Phyllis has always been in my life and she has always been a special treat to look forward to. She is unique and unusual. My best description for her would be from the plaque hanging above her kitchen sink. “Only dull people have immaculate houses.” You could get lost in her home from the piles. So what I didn’t understand… Miguel is embarrassed by his bigger than life aunt. He wants to pretend that she doesn’t exist. He hides her from his potential friends.
Miguel is a child trapped between two cultures. He is an American born of Dominican immigrants. While his family lived in New York, he fit in. There was a substantial Dominican presence. But he stands out in Vermont and his aunt makes their family unforgettable. Tía Lola is the best thing Miguel has going for his family and he cannot recognize it. He spends most of the book counting the minutes until she leaves only to discover he is the one who asks her to stay.
If there is one thing that I appreciated about the book, it was Tía Lola’s ability to communicate easily and effectively with everyone, (save Miguel,) without having even a basic knowledge of the English language. It shows that the spoken word is only a fraction of language.
The Bluestem Award is recommended for 3-5 graders. I’m just not enthralled by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment