Monday, July 9, 2012

I Am the Cheese

I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier

I was at work reading an article about improving literacy beginning with preschoolers on the NPR (National Public Radio) website when I ran across a book review titled, 'I Am The Cheese': A Nightmarish Nail-Biter by Ben Marcus. I did not wait. I immediately headed for the Young Adult bookshelves and grabbed a copy for myself. Although I have heard of the author, Robert Cormier, and more particularly of his book, The Chocolate War, I had never read one of his books before. And here was his book bypassing 5 years’ worth of titles to reside at the top of my list. I had read the comments following the article, and I knew that this was a “mind-altering” novel. I wanted my mind to be altered.
I have tried to think back to my teenage years and the novel that most changed the way I viewed the world like this novel did for Mr. Marcus. I have yet to come up with one. The Giver by Lois Lowry is the one that comes closest, however, I read that children’s novel as an adult – doesn’t count. No, when I was reading for leisure, it was either a Scholastic mass market paperback without any kind of staying power, (believe me; I’ve tried to find them.) Or it was an adult paperback that was dug out of an adult’s stash or passed around among friends. Your mother would not approve. At school, the classics were required and later the Pulitzers. Your mother still would not likely approve of the latter. And I realize that I missed out on age-appropriate literature.
I will admit that I Am the Cheese did not have quite the same effect on me as it would have had I read it when I was younger. But I am not disappointed. It was still a page-turner that I rushed back to at every opportunity. It is not the typical, action-packed adventure that the kids seize these days after they have watched the movie. It is more of the mind game… a precursor if you will to the Kurt Vonnegut and Thomas Pynchon novels that I was required to tackle in college. It is a suitable bridge between the world of children’s books and the realm of adult literature.
Twelve-year-old Adam Farmer seems most vibrant when he is pedaling his bike, heading towards his father. He has a purpose and a package and he will not let anything dissuade him. Not a dog, not a bully, not a thief, not a trap. His fond memories of his would-be girlfriend and his time playing pranks with her give him the energy he needs to keep pushing on.
Alternately, the same boy is being interrogated. He is lost and confused and he is relying on a (questionable) doctor to help him find his way. But Adam is uncertain if this “doctor” is friend or foe. Adam needs information about himself and the doctor is willing to help him find it. At the same time, the “doctor” is too interested in the information himself. Should Adam be protecting/withholding the clues from the “doctor”? The two are mutually dependent. Neither can move on until the secrets have come into the light.
So which Adam is the real one? The active boy or the medicated one? And how do they relate to each other? You can try to figure it out. I tried and failed. Definitely a classic that should not be missed. Right up there with The Giver and that is saying something coming from my mouth. Probably should be required reading. Must. Get. The. Chocolate. War. Immediately.
This book should be in the pockets of junior high boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment