Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Earwig and the Witch

Earwig and the Witch by Diana Wynne Jones

After the girls and I finished Waiting for the Magic, I decided we needed another chapter book. We hadn’t read one together for a while. Life had just gotten too hectic with homework and extracurricular activities. We didn’t always have the time to read an entire chapter. Days would pass in between and we would forget where we were. But we had so much enjoyed this novel that I didn’t want to lose “the magic”.
And that is how I came to be on my knees in front of the new book section of chapter books. I was looking for something short with a few pictures that the girls would be interested in. I picked up several and put away several. I almost walked away for something older when I spotted Earwig. It may have been the cat peeking up from the edge of the cover. My youngest always wants to be the cat. Or it may have been Little Orphan Annie undertones, but I decided to take a chance on Earwig.
Earwig was left on the steps of an orphanage when she was an infant. It may have been a witch who left her. Regardless, the person who left Earwig behind was being chased by twelve other witches, but she promised to return for Earwig. After she shook off the twelve. Which might take years.
Earwig is none the worse for wear. She loves the orphanage she has grown up in – St. Morwald’s. And she has a best friend – Custard. But most importantly, Earwig likes St. Morwald’s because everyone there does exactly what she wants. She gets the dinners she craves. She gets the clothes she desires. All of the kids agree to play the games that Earwig enjoys. The last thing Earwig needs is foster parents.
Now, I bet you can guess exactly what happens in the very first chapter. A couple comes and chooses Earwig to take home with them. This is the first time that Earwig doesn’t get her way. There is more reason for concern. The woman has blue hair and one blue eye. The other eye is brown and she wears purple lipstick. She looks like a person trying to look ordinary – and it isn’t working. And the man! He is called the Mandrake and every time Earwig glances his way, he seems to have grown taller and his ears longer until they no longer resemble ears, but more like horns!
Very quickly, Earwig discovers that the woman, Bella Yaga, is a witch. The Mandrake is the Mandrake and demons wait on him and follow him at all times. And Earwig is now their servant. Slave perhaps. She has no control over them. She tries to strike a bargain with the witch. Earwig asks to be taught magic in exchange for her labor.
In the end, it is the cat, Thomas, who teaches Earwig how to do magic. Thomas has his own plans for freedom. Together, Earwig and Thomas weave a spell to protect them from the witch, but also give her that which she most requires… help. My youngest thought that Thomas the Cat was the best part of the book. My oldest like the spell the two cast upon the witch. The book turns out to be quite funny and I am especially glad because there were parts that I was afraid would be a bit frightening. The girls never expressed fear.
On its own, I would hesitate to recommend the book, but I am pretty confident that this will be the first in a series. We must find out where Earwig came from after all. We are all utterly curious! This could be the next Judy Moody, Junie B. or Clementine, but with a “spooky” twist! Keep your fingers crossed and hopefully I’ll be recommending a new “series” to 6 – 10 year-olds!

No comments:

Post a Comment