Friday, August 31, 2012

Calling On Dragons

Calling On Dragons by Patricia Wrede (audio book)

Dealing With Dragons Book, the First
Searching for Dragons Book, the Second; Caudill Nominee; my favorite so far
Calling on Dragons Book, the Third; my daughter’s favorite of all
It took me three summer months to get to this book, but I have the best excuse – My daughter borrowed it off of my reading shelf. When I was ready to start, she was still reading. When she was finished, I had already started something else. She has been begging me to hurry up and read it ever since.
It was with tremendous joy that I watched her read her book while I read mine, in the mornings before we started our day. She would curl up on the sofa with a Cheshire Cat grin on her face. There were periodic squeals of delight peppered with gasps of surprise. Her eyes shined bright when I looked at her. She was full to bursting and dying to share.
And oh what a horrible mother I was. I told her she couldn’t share until after I read it too and then we could talk about it. I should have made an exception. But I am stubborn. Very. Much. So.
This book begins with Morwen the witch and her nine cats. The cats are my favorite part. They had been mentioned before in passing and the reader is aware of them, but now they are named. They have more than names; they have personalities and mannerisms too. You can expect to find Jasper Darlington Higgins IV under the porch taking a nap and fish is Fiddlestick’s favorite dish; he never gets enough. None of them are black, that is none of them look like a witch’s cat; although Morwen doesn’t look like a witch to begin with. Most importantly, all of the cats act just exactly the way a cat would – self-centered and aloof.
A few of the cats discover a most unusual rabbit in Morwen’s garden. The rabbit is six feet tall, seven if you include his ears. He also has an unusual name – Killer, but other than that, he is all rabbit and terrified of cats with good reason. Morwen wants to help Killer. She and some cats follow Killer to the place of his uncommon transformation. They discover clover that has been tampered with – magically. They also find suspicious markings. Morwen decides to call in the reinforcements – namely, Telemain the Magician who has much experience taking a spell or enchantment apart to see how and why it works.
No sooner has Telemain joined them [and Killer the Rabbit has become Killer the six foot Donkey, seven if you include his ears,] than the group discovers yet another Wizards’ plot to steal the magic from the Enchanted Forest. Time to involve King Mendanbar and Queen Cimorene! By the time they reach the King and Queen, it is already too late [and Killer is bright blue!]. The King’s sword has vanished! [and Killer is floating 6 inches above the ground!] These books are as funny as ever.
I asked my daughter who her favorite character was and she said Trouble the Cat because he is always getting into mischief. For example, he leaves the group to check out the surrounding forest and catches himself a miniature wizard. I pressed her for her favorite human character and she likes Queen Cimorene the best and I agree. I asked her what her favorite part was and she said it was when they go to capture the King’s sword. My favorite part is when the group comes upon Old MacDonald’s Farm. He has a horse here and a cow there. And we both found the tower with no doors to be a great part too. Think Rapunzel, but we guarantee there is no princess at the top!
We give it 4 thumbs up! Try reading the series with your 4th-8th grade girl. Surely now that school has started, you need a book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment