Friday, August 17, 2012

Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent was my number one most anticipated sequel since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I discovered Divergent, its prequel, through scholarly reviews and immediately requested it. I have been marketing it ever since as the must read if you enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy. I let Insurgent rest on my bureau as long as I was able. I wanted to savor every minute of it.
Here is my review of the first in the series, Divergent. I read through Insurgent just about as quickly and, while I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as the first, I am satisfied because it ended on a resoundingly high note.  The future holds promise.
First, it was very hard to pick up where I left off and I am unsure as to whether that is the fault of the author or myself. I don’t normally have such trouble when I am reading a favorite series. Perhaps it has been too long in between volumes. Perhaps I should have reread Divergent first. That is advice to take. I had trouble remembering who was who and what happened to whom. Even the name of the romantic interest eluded me at first. Understandably because he has two names, one of which was used much more frequently than the other and has more meaning.
Second, any kind of summary of the first novel was non-existent. It would have behooved me to reread my own review to remember what each of the factions was, what each of them stood for and against, and why they were even there in the first place. Both of these problems could have been solved with a few more detailed flashbacks.
Third, the first book was more interesting and exciting because it built the premise. There was more detailed description. We truly got to know the characters and could understand their choices. This novel merely advanced the action. The characters seemed static. In some cases, I felt that their actions were working against their established character.
Finally, romantic tension can be integral to these novels. Once you win the love of your life, there must be some conflict to keep the tension. The conflict created here between the main characters seemed forced or false. I had a hard time believing in it. It was my least favorite part of the novel whereas the dynamics of the relationship were so strong in the first. I would rather have seen the conflict come from elsewhere and have the main characters working together without the strange tension.
So my favorite part of this novel was the end – when the characters finally started acting like themselves. The way they should have all along. Plus the surprise twist of course. When the characters finally started behaving the way I thought they should based upon everything I knew about them, then I was ready to cheer.
[Now, I actually know someone who claims she likes this volume better than the first. ;) I think it is because she had it read to her out loud while on vacation. That person probably used different voices and accents which might have improved it a bit. :P lol.]
But seriously. Being divergent, Triss displayed an aptitude for Dauntless, Erudite and Abnegation. She left Abnegation and joined Dauntless. When we last left Triss, her world had been turned upside down. The Erudite had forced the Dauntless, through use of simulation, to attack the Abnegation killing many unknowingly. Fortunately, Triss’ divergence prevented her from succumbing to the simulation. Unfortunately, she had to watch and attempt to stop the massacre.
When Insurgence begins the Dauntless have been divided into Loyal Dauntless against the Erudite and the Traitor Dauntless who have joined the Erudite. What is left of the Abnegation, along with the Loyal Dauntless, including Triss, seek refuge with the Amity. But the peaceful Amity might not be able to prevent conflict if they harbor the refugees.
Triss and her boyfriend, Tobias/Four, set off to find an alternative. One possibility might be the Factionless. Their numbers are greater than anyone had believed before and they have a leader that might be willing to work with Tobias. The set back is that Triss thinks another leader might be of more help, but it is Tobias’ father, Marcus. Let the conflict begin!
The plots, politics and intrigue are what kept me reading until I finally got hooked. Despite my slight disappointment in this installment, I will eagerly await number three. Number two’s wrap-up had me chomping at the bit!
I recommend this series to junior and senior high youth who enjoyed Hunger Games and other such dystopian novels!

No comments:

Post a Comment