Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Fallen Angels

Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers

I have always had a healthy interest in war stories. My grandfathers both served in World War II. One served from a tank and was close enough to see Hitler or so I was told. The other flew fighter planes. My father served as a mechanic in Vietnam. My husband served as a military police officer in Operation Desert Storm. In Operation Iraqi Freedom, he returned as a commanding officer of infantrymen.
I married into a family of soldiers as well. One grandfather-in-law served on the ship that delivered the bomb known as “Little Boy” to Hiroshima. The other grandfather-in-law served on the German side. The Nazis forced him to serve in the Luftwaffe. Stories abound – now. They didn’t before. Soldiers do not share the horrors of war with their civilian families. It has taken decades for the stories to come out and generally between the soldiers while the rest of us listen from the edges.
I still remember when I was in high school and the movie Platoon came out. I thought I was desperate to see it. It was probably media hype and a handsome cast. My father generally took me to the movies when I visited him on Thursday evenings. He rarely said no. But this time he did. He didn’t want to watch a Vietnam War movie with his daughter. I don’t remember when I finally was able to see it, with whom, or how. But see it I did and every other one including Full Metal Jacket and Born on the Fourth of July.
And I didn’t stop there, as movies became more realistic, I tried to catch them all. (Still haven’t been successful watching the old black and whites.) I thought it was important for me to be exposed to the good, the bad and the ugly. I want be painfully aware of what men and women have sacrificed for our country.
I have read many, MANY, fictionalized war stories for children. Circumstances dictate that the stories will be about children and their experiences during war rather than about soldiers, young or old. So this novel that I present today is special. Fallen Angels is a young adult novel and therefore follows the experiences of a new high school graduate who joins the army and serves in Vietnam.
The novel came to my attention because it won the Coretta Scott King Award for literature in 1988. It is written by an African American and the main character, as well as a few secondary characters, is also African American. But I thought the author did an amazing job of catching the spirit of the times without making me feel like an outsider to the culture. There is racial prejudice, but even the Italians are on the receiving end.
The main character, Richie Perry, cannot afford college so he joins the Army and is shipped to Vietnam after a quick round of basic training. During Basic, a sport’s injury is discovered. Richie has a bad knee from playing basketball. A medical profile is created that almost certainly guarantees a desk job at headquarters. Unfortunately, the profile, much like airline baggage, gets lost during the trip overseas. Richie is given the opportunity to wait for his profile to catch up with him, but pride and loyalty require that he sticks with the rest of the newbies.
What I like most about this book, is that it is less about battles, battle grounds, strategic lines and strategy and more about Richie’s inner battle. He struggles daily with staying focused enough to stay alive especially as the horrors he sees daily repeat themselves in the nightmares he has at night. He discovers early on that fear leads to death. Once fearful, he risks a greater chance at making mistakes. Mistakes that include missing critical clues or firing on friendlies.
I recommend this book to any young man who has a heart to serve in the armed forces. All types are represented here from the hardcore army man to the gentleman who has something to prove to his father. And everything in between. I also recommend it the families of Vietnam Vets. I’ve learned so much and it explained much more than some men can express.
The book made the American Library Association’s Most Frequently Banned list because of explicit language, violence and sexual references. This is war people. I didn’t find any of it to be excessive or offensive considering the subject. It was not sensationalist in my opinion. It was realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment