Sunday, November 18, 2012

Son

Son by Lois Lowry (audio book)

There is no work of fiction that has affected my way of thinking more than Lois Lowry’s 1994 Newbery Award winning The Giver. I have read it many times in my adult life and every time I discover something new or gain a new level of understanding. It is the standard by which I measure new works of literature and most especially dystopian works of fiction. If your tastes lean in a similar direction as mine, science fiction and fantasy, The Giver is required reading. If you only read one work of dystopian literature, The Giver is mandatory reading. If you want brownie points with me, The Giver is essential reading.

I will admit that The Giver is not for everyone, but it is most fortunate for those of us who appreciate The Giver that there are companion novels to supplement our enthusiasm. My favorite has always been Gathering Blue because the main character is a girl and her gift is art, specifically, weaving. Among the many things, both good and bad, that take place, she rediscovers the plant that enables her to make the lost color called “blue.”

The third companion to the set is The Messenger. It finally ties the other two books together in a third village. Although it was similar to the first two because it presented a new community with specified rules and authorities that are both familiar and alien to our 21st century lives, it went a step further and added a supernatural element to the story – an antagonist known as the Trademaster who seemed exceptionally powerful because he had the ability to grant wishes to the inhabitants in exchange for a piece of their character.

I thought the set complete. I was knocked out of my socks to discover that a fourth book had just been published! I was thrilled to get a copy almost immediately. I was ashamed that I had been utterly unaware. Regardless of the cheers and jeers this novel has received, I chose to embrace it. I let it sweep me up and carry me away. I relished it, savored it and let the tears spill. I call it beautiful. And I will happily load you down with all four! Brilliant!

This new companion is divided into three parts: Before, Between, Beyond. Before is my favorite because it returns to the community first introduced in The Giver except that we get to view some important events through the new protagonist’s eyes. The new character is Claire. She is sixteen and she is a Birthmother. Unfortunately, something went horribly wrong in the delivery of her first product and she is reassigned. Claire is different from the citizens around her because she seems to have developed an attachment to her product… son… and seeks to reconnect with him.

Between is my favorite because we meet an entirely new village and I love these characters. They are colorful, tangible, real and I cared for their well-being. I longed to return. I wasn’t ready to let go. But that wouldn’t have been a story with obstacles, pain or growth. Claire had to fall from her nest. Fly from her nest. Climb from her nest of comfort and safety to gain her goal.

Beyond was a shock. The point of view changes to that of Claire’s son, but it is necessary for it is up to him to make things right. Beyond brings all of the main characters back together including the evil Trademaster. It also mimics the layout of the previous three novels. Like the third novel, the third section acquires the element of the supernatural. I believe most of the complaints about this book stem from this seeming divergence.

(I would argue that Lowry has captured life. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12 NIV.)

Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment