Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee

The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee by Tom Angleberger

It is an understatement for me to say that this series in not high on my list of favorites, but I have found a good use for them. They are an excellent distraction during takeoff. I am a nervous flyer. I don’t do it often. Books are my sedative. Fortune Wookiee saw me safely into the air where I could switch over to more serious reading.

By this third book, the premise is starting to wear on me. Redemption came in the form of a twist. The girls get into the action. In the previous books, a social misfit by the name of Dwight designed his own origami finger puppet that resembled the Star Wars’ Jedi Master, Yoda. Origami Yoda dispensed sage advice to the students of McQuarrie Middle School and the students argued whether or not Origami Yoda’s wisdom was real or just a scam.

Another student by the name of Harvey likes to antagonize Dwight and his friends. In the second book, he made Darth Paper who issued evil omens and assisted in getting Dwight suspended and eventually transferred. This book had less Dwight than the first. Dwight is practically non-existent in the third for two reasons. Number one – he is no longer at McQuarrie’s. Number two – he is attempting to assimilate or be “normal”.

In Dwight’s absence, Sarah, his next door neighbor, steps in. She comes to school with a fortune teller that looks like Chewbacca. It is called a “cootie catcher” in the book, and I find the name to be offensive and vulgar. But I googled the term, and indeed the little folded paper fortune tellers have many names, one of which actually is “cootie catcher.” I’m still making faces.

Sarah claims that the Fortune Wookiee was given to her by Dwight to use as a substitute for Yoda. Sarah refuses to answer any questions but important ones. The asker names their favorite Star Wars episode, their favorite character and then they get their answer – in Shyriiwook, the language of Wookiees. Fortunately, Sarah also has a Han Foldo to translate! My favorite new device.

Despite the book’s small size and comic bookesque appearance, the kids are seventh graders and the situations require middle school common sense making it ideal for reluctant readers. There is more going on in this book than meets the eye. The girls are problem-solving creatively in an attempt to transfer one boy’s affections from a girl he’ll never attain to a girl he stands a chance with. Dwight is losing his personality in an attempt to fit in at his new private school and the McQuarrie kids are trying to save him by proving to him that it is Dwight’s quirkiness that makes him special. And there is a story arc developing in the background – the school is shutting down its extracurricular classes in exchange for standardized test-taking programs.

I cannot tell you the number of cool points I have earned with the kids by being seen with this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment