Friday, November 23, 2012

Super

Super by Matthew Cody (audio book)

I loved Powerless. I was not surprised when it won the Rebecca Caudill award for 2012. It was a modern take on an old theme. It covered two genres, mystery and fantasy. Kids are still enthralled with superheroes and here are tweenage protectors. The main character is ordinary and powerless, the underdog as well as new kid on the block. Yet he, Daniel, saves the day with the help of his “super” friends. Ordinary as he may be, Daniel can do what they cannot despite their super talents.

It has been 19 months since I read Powerless. “Back in the day,” I would have reread Powerless before picking up Super. I still remember rereading every Harry Potter again when a new one was published. Since the series grew to seven total, I was thrilled when I was able to watch the movies instead. That was a quicker way to refresh my memory. There are simply too many books to read to read any one, (but the very best,) twice. I’m afraid the sequel suffered because I didn’t reinvest in the original.

It took me sooooooo much longer to get into Super. Finally, I took advantage of my Thanksgiving holiday and plopped myself down and finished it while everyone else was sleeping. To start, it had a confusing Prologue. The Prologue makes sense now that I have finished it, but it was confusing to begin with. Probably because I didn’t remember the character from the first book and why that character was important to begin with.

I will credit the author for resolving the conflict in the manner that I hoped he would, the manner that seemed logical to me, the happy ending. It just didn’t seem natural arriving there the way the author did. The best way I can explain it… It followed the same patterns, blueprint, as the original novel. It worked brilliantly once. He needed to try something else the second time around. I foresaw the outcome, but he got there in a roundabout fashion.

In retrospect, in comic book fashion, the super villain does return. The author stays true to the genre. I wasn’t impressed until I realized that it made sense. Also, the main character, Daniel does grow and change based on his experiences. But the book pales in comparison to its predecessor. I am hoping this is the end. Worried that it is not.

In Super, Daniel becomes strong when his friend temporarily loses his super powers. Daniel becomes intangible right after the girl with this ability kisses him. Daniel can fly for a moment when his friend collapses from exhaustion. Has Daniel become a Super? Does he have the ability to borrow, or steal!?, his friends’ super powers. Is he the bad guy? No, his only fault is withholding information to protect his friends and himself. But he learns the hard way that it is never a good policy to lie. If you loved Powerless, you should certainly try its sequel. And if you love it, I’d love to hear why. I am a cynical grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment