Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Apothecary

The Apothecary by Maile Meloy

I remember the day I started this book fondly. School was still in session and I was taking a day off, probably because I had just worked a Saturday or I was getting ready to work a full weekend. I was ready to splurge! I had just finished a lackluster novel and was excited to try again. I was curled up on my black leather recliner with a “cat” blanket wrapped around my shoulders. My shoes were kicked off. The dog was at my feet. The cat was in my lap. My coffee was next to me. A glass of water was within reach. I was only missing some delicious pastry…

And I dug in!

I recall exclaiming, “This is brilliant! Lovely! Delightful!” over and over and over. The book was unique and sucked me right in. I was in paradise in more ways than one. An adult Janie Scott was looking back on her childhood and recalling the spring of 1952 in which her memory drew a blank. She was able to share her memories only through her very diary that had finally been returned to her. She recognized her diary merely because she recognized her own handwriting.

What had happened in 1952 that had caused her to lose her memory? Magic!

Rereading the first chapter or two, I see why I was so entranced. The book begins as historical fiction covering an era I know less about – America during the age of McCarthyism. Janie’s parents were Hollywood screenwriters who were blacklisted for their liberal ideas. When U.S. Marshall’s began to follow fourteen-year-old Janie, her parents decide it is time to leave. They take a job in London and move the family. Janie drags her feet all the way!

I remained captivated through the family’s move to London and Janie’s miserable first day at the elite St. Beden’s Academy where she met a perfectly perfect rich girl and witnessed a rebelliously charismatic boy. I fell in love with the local Apothecary who recognized Janie’s homesickness and prescribed an antidote that might even work if you were willing to try it.

And just when the fantastical begins to take place and one would think there will be ever more glorious adventures…

Well

It

Just

Fell

Flat

How sad.

I don’t quite remember when I became bored with the book. Ne w and interesting characters were introduced including a show-stealing Dickensian street urchin named Pip who claims the lovely rich girl for his own. There are spies and double agents and even a scar faced man. There is a Chinese chemist who has discovered how to capture radiation in mass quantities and protect the people from such atrocities as the atomic bomb.

There is so much here to like. In the end, I believe the problem with this novel is that it tries to do too much. Be too much. It is quantity over quality in my opinion. There is magic… but not enough. It is historical… but not enough. It is mystery… but not enough. Perhaps picking one genre and sticking with it would have produced a stronger novel. If it would have just been about the cold war, I would have been fascinated. And I love the idea of apothecaries being a secret society of alchemists trying to protect the world from harm.

I really wish I could have loved it. I won’t have to recommend it. It is a nominee from the Rebecca Caudill 2014 list.

No comments:

Post a Comment