Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris

Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris by R. L. LaFevers

Two family-reading books ago, I read the second Theodosia novel to my girls. They were both extremely eager to begin it. Every evening they were impatient to continue it. After each chapter, they begged for one more. Sometimes they hid under the covers. And I confess, sometimes I instigated the hiding… The talent of reading ahead while reading out loud is exceptionally useful for drawing greater suspense as well and preparing to frighten unsuspecting children. HA HA HA HA HA!!!

I enjoyed this book for the pleasure it gave to my girls. Anything that gets them into their pajamas quickly is a winner in my book. Whatever gets my girls to brush their teeth in a timely fashion gets an A+ in my records. I will read through dull and boring and lackluster if they ask. Really, I will. I am glad that I don’t have to because they both have fine tastes. They recognize inferior writing… It will fall to the bottom of the pile. Five thumbs up for the second Theodosia. They loved it… I was not as enthralled myself.

There were many elements that I appreciated significantly. There were three separate plot lines that I would have loved to stick with. My favorite was seemingly unfinished. Grandmother Throckmorton is on the hunt for a governess for Theodosia. She interviews them and then brings them to the Museum of Legends and Antiquities to meet and teach Theo. We meet three of them in this volume. Each is funnier in their manners than the next. It is Theo’s mission to run them off. Hilarious in my opinion, but not the main plot and never completed. I loved it, but it isn’t really necessary to the plot even… just extra added laughs.

My second favorite plot line involves another secret society! The Arcane Order of the Black Sun is the “most secret of societies, dedicated to studying and understanding the wisdom and power of the ancients.” The Museum’s nervous and bumbling Third Assistant Curator is a member. Unbeknownst to Theo, he has been watching her and her peculiar brand of magic – removing black curses. And he is bringing her before his secret Order because he believes that she is the Queen of all goddesses reincarnated! The Black Suns wish to worship and protect her! I haven’t laughed so hard for a while. But again, is this plot necessary or just more laughs thrown in?

Finally, the main plot line! Very enjoyable once… but three times? All of the mummies in London are disappearing! And they can be found… you guessed it! At the Museum of Legends and Antiquities! They seek out the Staff of Osiris which happens to be in the “catacombs”. Theo uncovers it herself, puts it back together and discovers its power all on her own. She also devises as plan to prevent the mummies from returning a fourth time. It is imperative! Or her father will be thrown in jail!

Still recommending to the 5th through 8th grade crowd, particularly girls. We shall read the third and fourth as well. I will not deny my two!

No comments:

Post a Comment