Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Wednesdays in the Tower

Wednesdays in the Tower by Jessica Day George

Tuesdays at the Castle could have stood on its own and I would have been satisfied. I am so glad it will be at least a trilogy. I read Tuesdays to my girls over a year ago and we were enchanted. So much so that my youngest, at seven, purchased a paperback copy at the first Scholastic book sale (There are notes in the margins). So much so that my oldest wrote her first book report of her seventh grade year on Tuesdays. So much so that my youngest decided to write her own seven page summary. Her copy of the book AND the summary were either in her book bag or next to her bed the ENTIRE school year. Charmed. Perhaps enthralled.

It was like Christmas in July, when I marched home with Wednesdays. And my girls were just as captivated and now eagerly awaiting “Thursdays”. I will share three, no four things that I as the reading-aloud-adult noticed about the sequel. First, in a way it is utterly different from the original novel that included intrigue, espionage, pranks and assassinations. This novel is less dark and sinister. It revolves around an egg that appears in a new tower and the castle goes out of its living way to protect it and ensure that Celie, our main character from the first novel, is the guardian of the creature that hatches from it. The tone is of nurturing wonder and amazement. Life as opposed to death.

Second, the new novel goes in an unforeseen direction. In Tuesdays, the castle protects, reassures and affirms Celie’s royal family despite the horrible things that happen to the individual members. The Castle Glower lends aid in the form of found objects and secret passageways. The castle plays a supporting, yet vital role. In Wednesdays, the castle takes a starring role. The book begins to tell the story, the history, of the castle. Every new room added is a piece to a greater puzzle. The castle is laying out its history for Celie and her siblings if they only pay attention. The creature in the egg is the first clue. Oh, why don’t I? It’s right on the cover! The creature is a mythical griffin!

Next, my only complaint. I prefer books that complete a story arc within its covers. The perfect series will have one solid overreaching arc that begins in book one and finds completion in the final book. But each individual book will have its own conflict and resolution separate from the larger picture. This book doesn’t have the lesser arc. It begins an arc that ends abruptly. The last chapter is a major cliffhanger and provides absolutely no resolution. I would be a VERY unhappy camper IF the book had not taken a unique and completely unexpected turn. I am curious! I am keen to learn! Forgiven.

Finally… this book is full of the same childlike humor that the first book was loaded with. Children, forced to grow up quickly due to circumstances, but still able to retain their childlike sensibilities. Highly unusual in my opinion. Wait until you get to the part where you meet “Flat Squirrel”! I could hardly get through the sentences; we were all laughing sooooo hard!! I will highly recommend this series to girls 2nd grade through junior high. Remember, my oldest is highly sensitive and much prefers fantasies of the mythical creature comedy variety! And I don’t blame her. This world could use a smile and a laugh now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment